Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Using old fake christmas tree limbs to brush in a blind....Thoughts???

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've often thought the same buddy.. I have been told of people who collect them after christmas at the curb and have used them for such...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think it would probably work, as long as it matched the backdrop at least. If you cover it in bright green boughs, and place your blind in a fence row void of greenery, it's going to stick out worse than it would if you never brushed it in.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think it would probably work, as long as it matched the backdrop at least. If you cover it in bright green boughs, and place your blind in a fence row void of greenery, it's going to stick out worse than it would if you never brushed it in.

Evergreens always stick out though, no matter where they are in the woods. Long as they don't keep moving around it shouldn't matter.

epe

Lancaster
I know guys that have used them for waterfowl blinds, and it is pretty darn hard to fool them. I have been thinking about it myself.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You don't have a white tree do you? lol

Take off the lights first! lol

Sorry Nick, I couldn't resist. I think Joe is right. Keep them secured and it sounds like a good idea.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Evergreens always stick out though, no matter where they are in the woods. Long as they don't keep moving around it shouldn't matter.

Very good point, Jackalope. Now that I think about it, I think you're right... it shouldn't matter.

The whole trees work sometimes. I needed a little more cover in front of my raised Porta-Jon stand. Put an ad on craigslist and got two free trees. Put in a couple metal fence posts and wired the trees to them. Instant cover that the deer were used to in no time.

Attachments

• winterstand.JPG
    winterstand.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 279

saddlepants

central Ohio
Great Idea! I have been using fall decorations, fall leaf garland for years on my treestand ladder. Cheap from the dollar store and lasts quite a few years if you leave it up.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The only thing that comes to my mind as a concern would be the wires that start rusting after time, and what possable damage that could do to the marerial on the blind if left like that to long.

The only thing that comes to my mind as a concern would be the wires that start rusting after time, and what possable damage that could do to the marerial on the blind if left like that to long.

Funny you say that..The blind itself has seen its better days/years..This will be the 3rd season for it(cheap ameristep).The last 2 seasons it was left out longer then it should have been..Last year it was left out from mid oct till the following june..It has a few small holes i was going to patch with camo burlap,camo duct tape an super glue as well as some rips on one side at the bottom below the window..I was going to leave the window on the side with the all rips open an use some sticks,zip ties an camo burlap to make a extra "face" for that side on the bottom to cover the tears...To rig the limbs i got a roll of twine an zip ties i was going to try and get crafty with..I wouldnt even piss with it..But i wanna take my son this season an see how many minutes he can sit