Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

what slugs to use

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That...

I used to shoot Remington Cooper Solid Sabots back when I gun hunted. They are lethal and always flew great out of my Mossberg 500.

Jesse I've been shooting those copper solids since I bought my Marlin 512 some 15 years ago.... have never lost a deer to date with those slugs..... hopefully I didn't just jinx myself hahaha....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse I've been shooting those copper solids since I bought my Marlin 512 some 15 years ago.... have never lost a deer to date with those slugs..... hopefully I didn't just jinx myself hahaha....

They are devastating for sure. I killed my big 9 back in '04 with them and I'll never forget that deer taking the first slug straight to the chest and he never flinched. He was dead on his feet and never knew it! Course a deer with the body of a steer can take a beating, but the second slug just below the spine was more than he could handle! LOL!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
2 3/4" lightfields. They do well out of my 1187. Easy to find as well. That's something you need to think about too. Good luck.

My son's 870 rifled barrel loves those light fields.... best Sabot out of that gun.... but of course the hornadies weren't out yet.... so we never shot those out of his or mine.... bit I figure why mess with success lol....

chetter74

I've been shooting the hornady sst out of my 870 the last 2-3 years , I have a friend that has the same gun he shoots federals premium with the barns expanders he can clover leaf at 50 yrds

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Federal Premium Barnes Expanders....

70 yd shot from the ground, through the front and lodged in left hindquarter....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Buy a couple different boxes and have fun sighting them in..... Thats half the fun lol....

Sighting in a slug gun is only fun for a little bit but "J" is exactly right.lol It doesn't matter what anyone of us shoot...all that matters is what the 695 likes. (they are just like women. Give em what they like an they will take care of you. Feed em crap, and they will make you pay. lol )

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Federal Premium Barnes Expanders....

70 yd shot from the ground, through the front and lodged in left hindquarter....

Damn! If I ever pick up a slug gun again, I'll have to check those out. Actually been thinking of building a 11-87 in 20 gauge with a red dot for Tracie this year. It would make a good gun for me to beat brush with too. I see they make a 3" version for the 20 gauge in the Barnes. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the 11-87 I used in 20 gauge, took 3" shells. That'd make a mean little slug gun!

epe

Lancaster
Hornady sst slugs. Have shot a big mature doe at 93 yards and my buck at 60 yards. Both dropped in their tracks.. Shoot a great group at 100 yards. Never tried anything longer on paper..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hornady sst slugs. Have shot a big mature doe at 93 yards and my buck at 60 yards. Both dropped in their tracks.. Shoot a great group at 100 yards. Never tried anything longer on paper..

They really open up past 100... Out of my mossy, my buddies 1187 and a 870 they printed groups at 200 with 1 in 3 being a foot or more flyer. That was with a 150 zero. In a lead sled they wouldn't group at 200.. first shot bull, 2nd a foot high and left, third touching the first, fourth 7 inches low.. They were all over. At 100 they were solid to kill deer. But something happens between 100 and 200.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
That...

I used to shoot Remington Cooper Solid Sabots back when I gun hunted. They are lethal and always flew great out of my Mossberg 500.

Remington Copper Sabots for me too - expensive, but shoot well (I got a 500 as well) and man, they hit hard....bang flop