Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public land for youth hunt question

bigquacks

New to the site but long time "lurker". I want to bring my son on the youth gun hunt coming up in Nov. What are the best public areas in the Southeast part of the state? And the areas with the least amount of pressure during this hunt? He has shot a few does but has never seen a buck while we are out. Would like for him to have a chance to atleast maybe a buck or two. One issue I have is not being able to scout ahead of the hunt. Thanks for any advice

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What are you close too down there or where you at? This would allow us too add more options... welcome too the site....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Welcome. Look at WNF. Big land, but it still get quite a bit of hunting pressure during any gun season. Stay away from your smaller State park type places.

bigquacks

I am one of those out of state people. I live in Bristol Tn, which is just about a 4 hr drive to Ohio. Just looking to take my son on a trip where he has a chance to see a few bucks. This is kind of a reward trip for good behavior and a good report card, and the fact he is growing up and this will be the last youth hunt he can go on. He is eat up with hunting and is all he wants to do. I would like to show him that there really are deer out there like the ones on tv.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congratulations on you're sons performance.... I spend time in your neck of the woods every spring at the race down there... fun trip with good people.... good luck with the trip and good hunting for your son....

bigquacks

From the looks of the parking lot, you're not the only one from Ohio to come down to the races. I normally sell programs for my sons golf or baseball team during race weekends. You need to come down for the night race in August. It it a totally different kind of fun.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Oh I've made that one as well.... loads of fun both races... and Bristol's hospitality is much appreciated by us Yankees lol.....