Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help me choose

blemas

Summit County
I have 2 vacation days remaining and they are currently scheduled for 11/10 & 11/11 which will stack the 4 day weekend on the 12th and 13th. I don't know how I feel about the full moon on the 10th. Would you take the 4 day weekend and hunt Sat. the 5th through Tuesday the 8th or keep the current set up?

I am leaning towards changing it since I seem to have better luck with shooting / seeing bucks earlier in the month but I am open to any ideas / theories.

What says you?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Not sure what kind of area you hunt, for me I would have to hold off and hope for some more corn to be taken off. Right now in my area it's doubtful we are going to see a lot of rutting activity because most of it is going to happen in the corn. Don't get me wrong, I like some corn on later in the season, but not all of it.

If it were me, I would keep it 10th-13th, just because I think some of the bigger mature bucks will have already bred, and then be back up on their feet and looking for another hot doe. But, in all honestly, you aren't going to go wrong with any of those days you have to choose from.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Any day in November can be a great day, but I'm putting my money on the first week versus the second.

I'll be in my best spot Nov 3rd-6th.

Last edited:

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I will be taking a long weekend this weekend and next weekend. I am hunting this Friday and Saturday and next Friday and Saturday. Last year these two weekends were hot and the weather looks like it is going to cooperate. Lows in low 30's and high's in the upper 40's.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would take your 2 days off on the 14th and 15th. That full moon is going to trigger some serious seeking and chasing. I've never had good luck hunting DURING the full moon, but the days following can be real good. I'll be hunting the 11th through the 18th.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Don't overlook Oct 31 as well.... too many good bucks fall on that day around us too be a coincidence.... I'm pulling an all day hunt that day.... Evey year there are numerous booners checked in and all the guys say they had seen lots of movement throughout the day.... so I'm jumping on the Halloween band wagon this year lol....

saddlepants

central Ohio
So in unearthing this thread i got to thinkin. J mentioned Oct 31st so I mulled this over in my head for a "why" reason. Then it hit me. I dont fully understand the why but it fits precisely in something I remember from CHarlie Alsheimers seminar I went to... The one main thing I retained was he mentioned that the best days to be out there proven by the numbers is exactly 10 days before and 10 days after the rutting moon. ANd then I recall thats about the time I shot at least two of my biggest bucks and saw a ton of action...Im thinkin thats when I shot my first buck too cause I was new and gung ho and needed someone to tell me when and where. Im thinking I may have to just go out on the 31st myself again.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
So in unearthing this thread i got to thinkin. J mentioned Oct 31st so I mulled this over in my head for a "why" reason. Then it hit me. I dont fully understand the why but it fits precisely in something I remember from CHarlie Alsheimers seminar I went to... The one main thing I retained was he mentioned that the best days to be out there proven by the numbers is exactly 10 days before and 10 days after the rutting moon. ANd then I recall thats about the time I shot at least two of my biggest bucks and saw a ton of action...Im thinkin thats when I shot my first buck too cause I was new and gung ho and needed someone to tell me when and where. Im thinking I may have to just go out on the 31st myself again.

No that's not why.....it's because it's halloween and all the ghosts spook the bucks out of their beds and force them to move around!

I killed my buck last year on Halloween and there was a goblin chasing him all around the woods.:smiley_crocodile:

Buckmaster

Portage
The full moon is Nov 10. Things should slow down from Nov 8 thru the 12th with most activity occuring during darkness. Nov. 13 thru 19th should be the prime week this year due to the moon phase.

saddlepants

central Ohio
No that's not why.....it's because it's halloween and all the ghosts spook the bucks out of their beds and force them to move around!

I killed my buck last year on Halloween and there was a goblin chasing him all around the woods.:smiley_crocodile:

That was me!:smiley_crazy::smiley_crazy: