Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I "think" I know something..

epe

Lancaster
Had been texting a TOO member while they were hunting. Sent one about 720 to see if they did any good and they said they hit one good and was getting ready to go track. Have not heard anything since.. Hopefully they weren't pulling my leg........

saddlepants

central Ohio
LIFE SUCKS! So I know this deer is dead. I hit him hard. arrow sticking out way less than halfway, ribs, a little back maybe missed the lungs. Dark blood, some hair. no big deal of a blood trail some 300 yards or more then nothin. My question is this...is it cool enough to save the meat if I go out first light and find him? small basket buck maybe 6 to 8 points? Couldnt tell didnt have time to count but not a rushed shot by any means, I was at full draw and totally focused. He stopped facing away from me then turned broadside and I shot him at 12 Yards but he was taking a step so thats why its a little back. I watched him run uphill with the arrow solid in him. Then his tail went up and he disa ppeard. Looks like he may have headed down to the river. Will he still be good in the morning????????????????????THis SUCKS!!!!!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dark blood and the impact area makes it sound like a liver hit, but the few deer I've seen liver-hit all bled like crazy. The fact that you saw him lift his tail up has me concerned as well. Usually, that tail will stay tucked if they're hit in the vitals. Best of luck to you in the morning, SP... the meat should be fine... I hope you find him!

saddlepants

central Ohio
Tryin to get my main man outa bed with the smell of coffee. Thundersorm last night didnt help AT ALL. Had six of us out there last night. Marked the last spot where It looks like he crashed into some branches towards the downhill into the river but no crash line down the slope. Man I cannot believe this luck at all. I wish I had my damn dogs now but even with all that rain I guess all I can hope for is to chance spotting him along the riverbank, in the water or across where its more open. I think its still Thundering for petes sake. I cannot believe this luck. I stuck him good dammit. Hes dead somewhere. It wasnt as dark as liver blood but ....dammit... looking at my charts and where I saw the arrow It very well could be. His tail only went up for a second...Im thinkin thats where he change direction on me

Last edited: