Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My good deed for the day

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well took the day off too get too a stand too see what is moving through with a bow in hand.... Got into position and settled in @ 0625.... Nice cool morning and had high hopes... Didn't see squat and around 0900 I heard some noise coming in behind me but pretty loud for a wet woods morning, looked around the tree and abot 75 yards away I see a guy walking around and didn't have a clue I was there.... watched him for like 20 minutes looking around at the ground and figuired he was looking for blood or maybe was really interested in acorns hahaha.... Well he finally made it within 30 yards of my stand behind me and walked too the north of me and out of sight... 30 minutes later he's walking back my way... Gets to around 40 yards sits down and is rubbing his forehead and that's when I whistled at him.... He came over as I was getting down out of the ladder stand I was in and he's apologizing for screwing my hunt up but he hit a buck last night and can't find any blood or his arrow.... He gave me the run down and we started from where he hit it and no sign what so ever of any track or blood with just a little hair at the site.... 5 yard straight down shot that looked too him that hit the lung heart area.... Mechanical head (spit fire) so we start a grid and work the area and go where he thought he last saw it.... Nothing anywhere.... Well I wanted too change cards in the cameras and told him I'd be back after swapping cards.... Went and changed the one by the stand I was in and off too stand # 2 and make it 30 yards from my stand am looking for blood just in case it came this way... Bingo... find some drops.... Call the guy over and we're off.... Small blood trail but we had some at least... went for about 60 yards and nothing.... Well it was taking a well worn path so I just continued on down the path and he was scouring the ground for more blood.... I went about another 30 yards down the trail with no blood and was thinking man it had too take this trail it's a thicket with a well used trail why wouldn't it???? Anyways I start looking around the entire are visually and low and behold see a small patch of white about 15 yards up the trail... walk over and there he is.... Nice little 8 point called over too Greg and told him I'm about too make his day... He said you found blood???? I said yeah and it's attached too your buck lol....

He was happy as all get out and said he owed me big time gave me his number and said he'd help track, drag, butcher and take me out too dinner too boot..... well not really on the dinner but if I would of asked he would of treated lol.... So there, my good deed for the day is complete, didn't get too shoot anything but hey I helped another guy out and made a new friend lol....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not the morning I'd hoped for but oh well felt good too help someone out.... Now maybe the deer Gods will throw a little my way hahaha....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thats real nice of you. Did you know this guy and that he was hunting so close to your sets?

Knew they were hunting the area but didn't know they were so close too us... We're about 20 yards off of the property line and he's another hundred or so from there.... He's using a lok on and I never saw it through all the leaves that are still hanging but would of noticed as the leaves all feel off.... We're both hunting well traveled trails that they take too and from the food source with the bedding area being a couple hundred yards too the north of both stands.... Guy was always a little stand offish my buddy went too school with him and said he's nice enough just not real outgoing.... That all changed today lol.... He did post the property line about 4 years ago and tried too make a point too us too stay out but we never stepped foot because we knew how his father inlaw who owns the property is.... Never talked too him before today but I have a feeling he'll remember me the next time we run into each other lol....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The guy did score a 147" 8 point back in 08 and hasn't arrowed a buck since.... Gotta little tag soup paranoid and pulled the trigger on this one... Not a bad buck but nothing like the 8 he got last.... But it has decent body weight and should fill the freezer a little...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
The guy did score a 147" 8 point back in 08 and hasn't arrowed a buck since.... Gotta little tag soup paranoid and pulled the trigger on this one... Not a bad buck but nothing like the 8 he got last.... But it has decent body weight and should fill the freezer a little...

Damn!!! Now that's an 8 pointer!!