Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ban on exotic wildlife debated

fishwendel2

Was not sure who saw or heard this but with the debate on exotic animals and people wanting to fast track legislation I found these quotes interesting. Henry Heffner of the Ohio Association of Animal Owners, contending that whitetail deer — and not exotics — are “the most dangerous wild animal in Ohio.” “For some reason, the human death and destruction caused by whitetail deer is acceptable, but the remote possibility of attack by exotic animals is not acceptable,” wrote Heffner.

the problem with the exotic ban is they want to ban all exotics including small exotics like snakes , lizards and birds which would kill the pet stores , i know a guy in columbus that i have baught reptiles from that owns two stores and fights these bans in court , not for the banning of large exotics but because they want to ban all exotics

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
the problem with the exotic ban is they want to ban all exotics including small exotics like snakes , lizards and birds which would kill the pet stores , i know a guy in columbus that i have baught reptiles from that owns two stores and fights these bans in court , not for the banning of large exotics but because they want to ban all exotics

What kind of exotics do you own or have you owned?

saddlepants

central Ohio
I made a stink about this on the other thread and its true. This can also hurt the hunting industry. Deer and elk farms are considered exotics under fed laws and We would see a rapid decline in availability and rise in cost of urine scents for every aspect of hunting from coons to yotes to deer...anywhere you use scent. And I will lose two of my family members one who has been with me since just a few months old. This has been a battle us "bird " people have been watching for years. I have a medium sulfer crested cockatoo and an african grey parrot. And its a shame....Ive known dogs to be way more deadly than my stinkin birds. And where do they draw the line there? Hampsters? Peacocks? My south African Paradise Whydah finch ?? Its a difficult battle for millions of pet store owners to have to face as well. Nearly anything that isnt cat or dog or rabbit is considered exotic.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I don't think south florida would agree with you Sam. the everglades are over run with non native snakes and they can't control them.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I don't think south florida would agree with you Sam. the everglades are over run with non native snakes and they can't control them.

I have many friends that live down there and I guess it is more of an urban myth. The snakes are out there but definitely not overrunning anything. I let Hornwilly speak for himself if he sees this but I believe he feels the same. Scare tactic used to generate funding.

saddlepants

central Ohio
I just got back from a friend down there while I was in FL and he said they had a real good freeze last year and found many of the pythons dead. And Im from there...Its no urban myth. Its a problem with Parrots down there too. Non- native Nanday conures and the destructive condo-nest building Quakers on the power lines are seriously everywhere. They werent there when I was a kid. Noisey bastards too, wake you up on a sunday morning.