Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Wipeout

Schu72

Streetsboro
Those of you who read my Plumbrook thread already know I had a little mishap over the weekend. Here's a little more detail (from what I remember). I was up at Plumbrook for a controlled hunt, things had been fairly slow. I had only seen two deer to this point, so after meeting with my partner I decided to head back to the one location where I had seen a descent 8 point a little earlier. I had noticed a huge oak blowdown that I thought I could get up on to give me a better vantage point. Well once I was up there I really couldn't see any better do to several other large oaks. After just a few minutes I decided to get down. I walked to the base of the tree and attempted to step onto another tree that was pinned by the blowdown when my foot slipped and I came tumbling down. I had my gun in my right hand and of coarse that is the direction I fell. The butt of the gun hit the ground and my face slammed into the scope knocking my glasses off and almost knocking me out. I was bleeding like a stuck pig and was failry disoriented. I managed to get my pack off and dig out some paper towels. I got the bleeding stopped and texted my partner to let him know I was in a bit of trouble. Once he got there I called my wife and debated leaving the hunt to get stitches, but decided to stay and finish it out. Glad I did as I shot a doe about and hour later. Here is what I looked like today.. Alittle shiner and a crescent shaped cut about an inch long.

Be careful out there fellas, this could have been much worse.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Glad you stuck it out and harvested a doe!

You're right, it's a good reminder that what we do as a past time, or obsession, has its risks involved. Glad you were hunting with someone and it wasn't any worse!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Like the others I'm glad your okay.... but it also highlights a good safety lesson too always have the safety on and be aware of your footing as much as possible.... had a Guy I know a few years ago basically do the same thing and about blew his foot off.... lots of surgeries and rehab and is none the worse for wear bit if he had his safety on it wouldn't have happened .... glad you're still with us Shu in one piece.... now what's with this life partner your were hunting with..... I kid man I kid hahaha.....

Schu72

Streetsboro
Thanks guys. Torqued my shoulder a little as well. So I may take a little time off from shooting. I ended up seeing my Doc this afternoon. Getting some x-rays in the morning and starting some anitbiotics. She pulled off my steri strips and thinks the cut is showing signs of infection. Bummer.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Shu, have her scrub it with soapand water pat it dry and then put some antibiotic ointment on it.... Usually will nip it in the bud pretty quick....