Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sunday harvest!

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
This year has been challenging to say the least. I lost all my private land honey holes but I grew up hunting public land so I was confident that I could still fill my tags. I was lucky enough to harvest a doe on the 9th and set my goals on waiting for a particular buck that I had watched and seen during September. I watched this buck from an observation stand site last Sunday but due to the wind I didn't want to push it. Fast forward to yesterday, perfect wind and perfect temps. I decided to move in and see if I could catch him working this flat to return to his bed. As I set up in the darkness I couldn't help but have high hopes for the sunrise and what it would hold. I saw 2 small does that worked past my set at 8am then came the long sit with no action until about 10:30 am when my Dad called on the radio and had to get down due to Mother nature calling. I decided to give it another 30 minutes and get down at 11. At about 10:45 I heard running so I stood up and looked for the noise, it was a little 6 pt chasing a doe. They ran right by me and stopped on the flat below. They stood still for about what seemed to be 5 minutes then worked the flat to the top of the ridge. I caught another bigger body and quickly picked up the binoculars, it was the buck I was looking for. He went over to investigate the chasing and quickly was heading back to where he came from. I picked up the call and grunted, nothing,.. grunted again.. nothing so I quickly snort wheezed with my mouth and he was interested in that as his ears turned and the hair stood up on his back. He dissappeared for a moment then quickly made his way around behind me. I came to full draw as he stepped into the lane and I released the arrow, crack and the arrow was gone. Not sure if I hit a limb or what but clean miss. The buck ran back about 30-40 yds and stopped for a moment, I thought holy crap he is going to come back so I grabbed another arrow and quickly nocked it. As I came to full draw he was skirting the last shot sight and angling right towards me. I thought bad angle but confident I could make the shot, he finally looked up and as he did I released.. this time hitting exactly where I was aiming. He actually fell down as he tried to spin away and went over the hill, I heard some rustling but wasn't 100% that he was down due to the angle. I decided to get down and eat lunch with my Dad then pick up the trail. As we got to the shot sight my Dad peeked over the hill and said no need to look for blood, he is down right there. I was pumped, the arrow hit behind the shoulder, the broadhead was sticking out his opposite hind qtr. My Dad and I celebrated then got to work as this would be alot different than some of the last few bucks I took on private land, as quads tend to make the drag alot easier. Here are some photos of the 10 pt buck. No camera of course but I did have my cell, my Dad was challenged trying to operate the smart phone but oh well.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the atta boys on this one. At 40 I wasn't sure this old guy could handle packing in the climber 2 miles up hill then handle the drag, pretty sore today. Sorry for the rambling story, but at work I was a little rushed.