Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blood Tracking Dog

hugo27bell75ty

http://trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com/
Check out my website and see my awesome tracking dog. She tracks interdigital hoof scent when the blood runs out. Don't step in the blood and make a new track for the dog to follow and make it harder on her. This tires the dog out and can make it difficult to impossible for the dog by sending her on wild goose chases. If you loose blood call me asap for best results. I need to talk to the hunter also and not a friend. I have found deer up to 27 hours later after being shot with my cold nose european blood tracking wire haired dachshund.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Where do you track? Are you limited to a certain area? Welcome to the site. I think there is another member or two on here that have tracking dogs as well.

hugo27bell75ty

I am charging 30 dollars for gas up to one hour drive from my location in South West Ohio. I live around 35 minutes north of Cinainnati and I only track whitetails. A guy wanted me to track a skunk yesterday, which I thought was pretty funny, but I don't want to get my dog started on tracking anything other than the wounded deer were looking for. I do appreciate tips on finds though. I have waited for a long time to get this particular blood line and didn't spare any costs either on the dog or tracking supplies.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am charging 30 dollars for gas up to one hour drive from my location in South West Ohio. I live around 35 minutes north of Cinainnati and I only track whitetails. A guy wanted me to track a skunk yesterday, which I thought was pretty funny, but I don't want to get my dog started on tracking anything other than the wounded deer were looking for. I do appreciate tips on finds though. I have waited for a long time to get this particular blood line and didn't spare any costs either on the dog or tracking supplies.

I know exactly what you mean... My uncle has a wire-haired dachsund as well. He got her from a breeder up in New York. High-dollar, and extensive interview process. She's one hell of a deer tracker, though!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am curious as to what expenses in supplies one might need to track deer? I am thinking blood, some chunks of liver, and the patience to train the dog and you are good to go. Seems to me dashunds are popular. I have known people to use blood hounds, GSP's, labs, curr, catahoula, and just about any dog with the ability to be trained and a good nose.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

saddlepants

central Ohio
I trained my bloodhounds to track by using downed, known location kills. I had a group of people who would call me out for (and prepared for) when they shot a deer and saw it land or would track and try to locate the downed deer without completely approaching the carcass. Short ones then longer and the dogs learned to track where there was no blood as well. Inter-digital scent is like a fingerprint to an individual deer so If the dog can put together both then tracking continues well beyond where blood wears out or even after a rain or several days and the dog learns to ignore cross tracking by other deer or other animals. I trained little pups with deer blood and legs with feet attached by dragging them around in play and then dragging them off and hiding them

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like the deer hoof shoes. They make me laugh. Hell, John Jeanneney laughed at them when telling people about them at the last seminar of his that I attended. To the original poster, I am sorry if this offends you and i hope they work for you.

We just use blood and take as many calls as we can. If you have a dog that likes to wind the scent, then during training you need to throw some chunks of liver on the ground every so often for a little bit of a treat in order to keep your dog's nose on the ground. We have had a pretty good success rate, but have not gotten a ton of calls for it. Mostly word of mouth for friends and such. I am not overly interested in driving all over the place to track deer in the middle of the night, but I AM more than willing to help out whenever I can. There is a fine line to walk. Take every call and you are going to be tracking deer that were never touched by the arrow.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Its cool you have one of Johns Dogs. I have spoken with him both online and at the expo. He wants me to get involved with his group but I just cannot afford another mouth to feed (dog) right now and my two jacks are getting old. The Bloodhounds were a huge responsibility and I'm small. Getting drug through the woods by a 90 lb hard tracker was tiring but fun. Had allot of success and enjoyed being "on call" lol. I will get another dog one day but it wont be a hound unless its one of those cool little german ones he showed me. Ive been in the dog buisness for over 20 years and I just cannot see myself with a dasch. I havent liked a single one Ive met...but thats just me. If you were closer Id love to see your dog work but you are far.

hugo27bell75ty

My latest find with Quella. This deer was hit high in the shoulder by this gentleman, but he only bled for 75 of the 300 yards. The hunter and a search crew came in, but couldn't find the deer. Quella had a hard time in the wind swept field,with lots of fresh(hot) deer scent, but once she hit the woods it was all over within minutes. I really enjoy the finds and yes I got my dog from John. I live in south west ohio (butler county) but if it wasn't for that I would love to show you my dog work saddle pants.

Last edited:

hugo27bell75ty

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WQxqUyrl1_c/Tqq6RlU3XYI/AAAAAAAAACw/AG5n7mD46Qk/s1600/Dave+Deer+Pics+2011+151.JPGI forgort my camera in my pack back at the car. I hitched a ride with the hunter and the landowner to the hit site, that's why I don't have any pics in the woods. I would like to mention that there are a few no finds also. I posts all the good stuff, but the dog does have some no finds that I don't tell you about when the hunter doesn't do his job, (which happen with buck fever) or tramples the place with a search party. It makes it tough on the dog when a person shoots a deer and walks in the blood trail and walks all over the woods. Tracking for the dog is exausting on her after a while and can burn her out if we don't get the right line after a period of time, from trying to weed out these artificial tracks that you or your search party makes. All this does is have her follow the trail that you make from the blood on the bottom of your boots, or shoes. I pretty much travel over an hour or around for all my tracks on the average and 30 dollars covers gas and wear and tear on my vehicle, so if you put a bad shot on a buck, don't go looking for it unless you want to run a chance of loosing your trophy. What i'm trying to say is I do the tracking because I enjoy helping people out by finding deer not for money. Tips are appreciated for the find though and also helps with keeping the wife happy (lol) but not neccessary. I give gut shots 24 hours, liver shots 6 hours or you will push the deer to the next county. I just did a track yesterday where I had to call off the track, because we weren't catching up to a nice buck after 1.5 miles and had to go to a birthday party. I told the man before I came out that I was short on time, but at least now he knows where to look for the buzzards if he did his job. We did find one drop of blood at the stopping point. I hope that this doesn't sound like i'm being an a@@hole, just trying to help everyone out when it comes to finding your trophy. Quella and I like to find the bucks at the end of the trail just like you so I'm puttting this on here to help your chances drastically !!! If you decide to look yourself, I will still help you if you don't find it , but give the deer the time to expire that I posted. Thanks Dave

Last edited: