Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The buck Roar...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Had a dandy of a deer do this tonight.. I didn't know WTF it was and hadn't seen the deer yet.. About 20-30 min prior a 120 class 8 was chasing a yearling doe all over in that honeysuckle patch.. 30 min later after the 120 class buck and doe had gone. I could hear a deer down there milling around... Then BROOOOAAAAAPPPPPP.. WTF WAS THAT i whipped my head around like.. Coyote. Too small... Bear.. Not around here.... Great.. It;s fuggin bigfoot.. I later saw the deer ontop of the hill and he was about a 150 class deer...

Go to the 2:50 second mark in this vid. Right after that doe blows that's the EXACT belching sound that deer made. Scared the living shit out of me. He did it way louder than the 4pt in this vid does it.

[video=youtube;ZdEIu3mGJq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEIu3mGJq4[/video]

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've heard it a time or two as well. I'm definitely a believer that this vocalization is real. One time while hunting in Perry County, I was still-hunting up a ridge we called Turkeyfoot Ridge, where a nasty impenetrable thicket was located. Once I got up there and started moving through the thicket, I heard some noise crashing in there and coming towards me... Then I caught movement, two bucks on the ass of a doe... Then, not ten yards away from me, one of the bucks let out a long grunt/growl. It literally made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Just as quick as they came running through, they were gone. It was an experience in the woods that I'll never forget.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This makes the 2nd time in my life that I habe heard it. Ants answered a big question for me as a hunter... The last time I was 16 amd hunting a buddies farm in ms... He put me in the stand and went to his... An hour later I heard the god awful noise behind me.. I never saw a deer though.. It scared the crap out of me then too... For the past 14 years I have often thought back to that day.. I eventually wrote it off as my buddy messing with me. Later in life I figured he snuck back in behind me and made some kind of growl sound to get a rise out of the new kid.

No sir. Afyer hearing it again last night.. I k ow exactly what it was. I don't think its a call ill be attempting to make as I can't see how a hand held call could ever do it right. I think its a frustration thing.. That buck last night was down in some thick stuff snooping around.. A bit earlier a 120 buck had been chasing a doe in there... I think ole boy got pissed the he could smell that other buck and knew je was chasing a doe. But couldn't find him...

One thing I habe noticed though is the deer up here are very vocal compared to vinton county. Almost every buck I have seen so far has been walking around grunting... Not a doe in sight. Just soft grunts every once and a while.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My bro and I have both heard this several times over the years. A few times this loud gutteral belch like sound was drawn out to last as long as 15 to 20 seconds with others to follow. Pretty neat encounter Joe. Wait to you hear the snort wheeze, not only is the bucks back hair raised, yours will TOO!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My bro and I have both heard this several times over the years. A few times this loud gutteral belch like sound was drawn out to last as long as 15 to 20 seconds with others to follow. Pretty neat encounter Joe. Wait to you hear the snort wheeze, not only is the bucks back hair raised, yours will TOO!

3 years ago i had one snort wheese at me back and forth about 6 times... Sissy wouldn't cross a ditch though. Which is strange cause he was sure talking a bunch of smack.. lmao lol

chetter74

last year I heard a loud grunt / growl thought it was my buddyon the other side of the thicket when I asked him about it back at camp he told me that he didn't even have a grunt call with him , had 1 snort wheeze under me a few years back that's some cool shit there