Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

odnr, are you there?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
If you are listening, can Crawford county please get a fall turkey season next year?

I set out to deer hunt this morning, not a bad morning, had 3 does come in about 8:30, the wind wasnt in my favor and they caught my scent and turned around and went back the way they came. about an hour later a smaller buck past through about 75 yards, grunted at him but no luck.

On the way in I notuiced a new scrape getting started, on the edge of a beanfield, so I decided to call it a morning, go investigate the new scrape and maybe figure out a way to set up on it for an evening hunt tonight.
As I was walking through the woods I heard turkeys yelping and kiki running to my right. I had never heard the kiki run in the woods before so I stopped and listened for a few minutes. It sounded like at least three of them.

"Well, that was kinda cool, Oh well, no turkey hunting in crawford county, might as well go look at this scrape".

I got to the scrape, I think its the buck I caught on camera at another scrape a couple hundred yards away, And I heard the turkeys again, this time they were closer. I turned and looked and right there on the opposite side of the beanfield, maybe about 50 yards away I saw little heads popping up out of the weeds.

I froze.

Those 3 hens worked their way diractly towards me to within 10 yards of me. I was'nt in any cover, the tree line was about 20 feet away, but they just kept coming. I decided to have some fun with them and when they were about 6 or 7 yards from me I raised my bow and drew back, thinking they would freak out and run away. They didnt seem bothered by it a bit. If I would have had an arrow nocked I dont think I could have resisted.

They didnt run until I let off.

So I got a chuckle from the dumb hens, found a tree to set up in that might work for the west, southwest wind we are expecting this evening and started to walk out. I had to go around a small finger of woods that sticks out into the beanfield. As I came around the corner I looked up the fencerow, and right in front of my blind stood those damn hens...

...6 of em, .... RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY BLIND!!

As I got closer, they ran away, but not before passing in front of my camera.

This is the third time I have had turkeys in bow range in october on this property. the first one was a bearded hen last year, and a couple weeks later a nice tom.

So... Can we please have a fall season in crawford county next year? I promise, I'll buy a tag. And if this is any indication I'll probably fill it.

Huckleberry Finn

Turkeys are idiots anytime not during the spring...lol. They just sit and hide and then flush, almost like a pheasant.

The reason ODNR doesn't have a fall season is Crawford is they probably called Adam instead of you! hahaha

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Turkeys are idiots anytime not during the spring...lol. They just sit and hide and then flush, almost like a pheasant.

The reason ODNR doesn't have a fall season is Crawford is they probably called Adam instead of you! hahaha

Everybody knows we don't have no thunder chickens up here.

(Those was decoys. SHhhhh. Don't tell )

camofry

*Supporting Member*
yep, galion.

Ya, the Turkey numbers are there for a fall season. Where Crawford boards Morrow and Richland county there are a lot of birds but when you get over on the Marion County side they kind of drop in numbers. ODNR goes by the whole county. Kill him and kick him across the road into our county.lol