Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Is Hoyt Serious?

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Not trying to start a big thing, but just checked out Hoyts 2012 lineup on their website. Yuck!!!! Almost all the new bow are shooting 330fps with a 6 3/4 brace height!!!! Wow... There "speed bow" which is a 340 fps bow sports a brace height of 6 inches.... Seriously?

Bowtechs Destroyer which is two years old now shoots 340 with a 7 in. brace. Older Mathews bows with a smoother solo cam are getting better speeds with a better brace height. Not to mention Strother's new 2012 Wrath is getting 332 fps with an 8 in. brace height.

Seems to me that Hoyt is falling way behind in the game.. Good thing they have a big following that will always shoot Hoyt's...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i have not been impressed with hoyts for a LONG time. tech riser was an epic fail and a carbon bow around $1100....i can get a fully decked out AR for that money with no speed behind it. they may need new leadership or their fan base will be looking smaller market.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a Hoyt. Nice bow. I can assure you I am not dropping that kind of cash on the carbon bow. Probably Bowtech Destroyer350 or an Elite whenever I shop. Will decide after I shoot them. This is based off the rave reviews my cousin and his buddy gave me on the Destroyer 350 and the countless great reviews on the Elite bows from the guys on TOO. Mine is a 2008 Vectrix Plus (or was it Vectrix Pro I can't remember). Either way, 315 or 320 IBO is good enough for me, but I am certainly not switching out to gain 10fps. Better jump higher than that to make me switch. Otherwise, mine is perfectly fine.

tritonbill

NE Ohio
I just bought a Hoyt CRX 32" and I really like it alot. My previous bow was a 2005 Hoyt ViperTec and was a nice starter bow for me and killed at least 2 deer with it every year. My decision to buy a new Hoyt was based on Hoyt being a good bow, me shooting it at the Paulie's Pro Shop for over an hour before I bought and it felt good. I didn't even look elsewhere because he gave me a good deal and Paulie is going to stand behind his bows , his work and I like to help the little shops out.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree with ya, Mao... It's absurd. I especially can't stand those fuggin carbon bows. If that's not marketing hype I don't know what is. I shot the Maxxis while I was bow shopping and it shot alright, but was no where near impressive.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
not nocking hoyt owners.. seriously... i have went through every bow imaginable including them.. just was shocked to see such lame specs on 2012 bows...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No offense taken here Mao. It is what it is. I like mine. However, I am not going to consider them if what they are offering in their new lineup is not much better than what I already have.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I shot Hoyt in the early 90's. They were great at the time. Haven't shot one since. I think they are always going to be very dependable, a work horse if you will. I don't think they will ever be the fastest, shiniest, coolest, or most fun to shoot. They are what they are, which is apparently good enough for them.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I shot Hoyt in the early 90's. They were great at the time. Haven't shot one since. I think they are always going to be very dependable, a work horse if you will. I don't think they will ever be the fastest, shiniest, coolest, or most fun to shoot. They are what they are, which is apparently good enough for them.

Yep