Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

'Bout dang time...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
In terms of meeting my annual goal of building a story around a particular buck, this summer has been the best of my career. Not only have things with Moe grown tremendously this summer, but the story with Captain Jack is in its second year and with any luck, that story will continue in to its third year next summer as he becomes my goal for the 2012 season. However, in terms of finding a suitable candidate to play second fiddle to Moe, it has been rough going this year. Deer like Curly, Larry, Duke and Boss Hawg, all great two and three year olds, have eluded me all summer. That is until this past week when the latter of the group strolled back in to my life while wondering down Hippie Ridge. For those of you who don’t remember Boss Hawg, here is a look at his “portfolio” from 2010…

I believed this deer to be a three year old last year, despite having some doubts even to this day. In both the body and rack department, he far outsized all the known two year olds I have seen on our farm over the years. The general consensus at that time was he was borderline P&& as a 3.5 year old, clean 8. I knew this was a deer I wanted to see again and this week, he gave me a few looks. Albeit, not great ones. Here is the first indication I had of his presence this year. After watching this 20 some times last night, I am 100% positive this is him...

[video]http://youtu.be/HgzLzeNnuSs[/video]

I have to admit, seeing him stroll through that spot got the blood rolling! It might have been 2AM when he did it, but he had to walk 30 yards broadside of my stand to get there. I was hoping I’d get a look at him on some of the other cams and it just so happened he made a few visits to the creek bottom. Despite not being the best looks, they are enough to tell me this deer is mature whether it be three or four (and I believe he’s four) and he’ll for sure gross, and most likely net Ohio Big Buck as a clean 8. I’d like a few more looks from better angle before I commit to those opinions 100%, but I’m 90% there right now and given the chance after the first week of November, I’d gladly kill this deer…

And then you have some deer that are total camera hogs…

[video]http://youtu.be/jF72tVI3B6A[/video]

Things are heating up as the weather cools down, so I have some expectations of seeing another deer or two that would be worthy of a tag this fall. Particularly this deer; I really want to know what happened to him…

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
FWIW, the video of Moe was taken at 7:48PM as he left the sanctuary and went past the stand. He's the epitome of a buck that is killable!!!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well get on it then! I'm getting sick of sitting by the phone every night waiting for "the call" It's so bad, I can't even leave the house in fear of missing it...

:smiley_depressive: