Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Soakin wet for a widgeon

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As I'm sure everyone has noticed, the weather has been more conducive to duck hunting than deer hunting lately. I decided to head out to some public land after work and sit through the rain. Even with waders and frogg toggs, I still managed to get pretty damn wet. I saw quite a few mallards flying high and one group of about a dozen or so wood ducks. The only bird that worked my decoys this afternoon never made it out alive... One shot, one kill. I was surprised when I waded over to it and saw that it was a widgeon. In 13 years of duck hunting, this is the first widgeon I've ever dropped the hammer on. I was pretty pumped.

widgeon.jpg
sorry for the terrible pic quality

Last edited:

Derek j

Knox Co.
Nice! I will be heading to public land tomorrow morning to do a solo hunt and work the pup. This will be her second hunt, so she is still completely green. I am hoping the birds are there so she can get the full experience.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thats the first bird killed at Spencer in years........LOL

Lol. This was only my second trip waterfowling there, and it was a different spot, but I could tell this area was pounded by human traffic since the opener. I did manage to double-up on some geese at a different spot there last year.