Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Weather rant

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I just wanted to bitch about this rain. I had planned on hunting tonight and tomorrow night but it is supposed to rain all day/night both days. So frustrating.

I don't mind sitting in the rain at all. But hate taking a shot, especially on an evening hunt, when it is raining. Blood trails disappear quickly due to the rain and lack of light.

matt hougan

Dayton area
Im in the same boat. Not only can I not hunt but I have three days off a week from the cop job to tend to my side business....... Lawn Care. I have not moved from my couch today and all I can do is worry about the work I cant do today and tomorrow.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dude, today is perfect! I just showered and threw on the rain gear. I'm off to check/move cams and scout. I love days like today! Looks like I timed it right and caught a gap in the heavy rain. In all seriousness, this is a great day for a bowhunter. Not to mention when this front breaks, it's bringing in perfect hunting weather for late October as a parting gift. Don't hate, enjoy!!!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Dude, today is perfect! I just showered and threw on the rain gear. I'm off to check/move cams and scout. I love days like today! Looks like I timed it right and caught a gap in the heavy rain. In all seriousness, this is a great day for a bowhunter. Not to mention when this front breaks, it's bringing in perfect hunting weather for late October as a parting gift. Don't hate, enjoy!!!

Its not just raining a bit here. It has been a constant, almost downpour the whole day. If I were to shoot a deer it better fall fast because the trail would be washed away within minutes. Now when this fron breaks it should be a good day. Hopefully I can get in the stand for a sit Friday evening.

I guess it is not just about hunting because I scheduled mostly exteriors for September/October and that is all jacked also. I am bored, stir crazy and ready to get back in the stand.

I need to kill something...

Gordo

Athens County

Thats the truth. Easy to go unnoticed.

Now for actual killing tonight in the Athens Area, Its not looking to good. Downpouring and wind is picking up. But man, if it stops for that last hour of light it'll be on for anyone in a tree.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Used the rain today to go camera check around lunch time. Saw deer on their feet and feeding in the rain. Did a little scouting around the fringes & tried to get in & out without making too much of a disturbance. Would've rather been hunting this afternoon, but like Beentown said, it's just been pouring around here today. Blood trails wouldn't have lasted a minute.

Only decent picture...

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am soaked to the bone! I sent a wave over my quad and right in my lap crossing the creek. I almost lost the bike on the way back. It was a little hairy! It was a torrential downpour with lightening and 20+ mph winds the entire 90 minutes I was out. But it was very productive! If Moe left the sign I found tonight, my best observation stand just became a killing set...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seen 5 deer and about 12-15 turks running around during the day today. They gotta eat lol. They are just sick of being stuck beded down so they are getting up and running around feeding during daylight hours now. I would go hunt. Snap a good shot and they should be withen earshot when they crash. On the other hand I don't like hunting in the rain just for the fact your bound to get that one deer that won't read the script and fall without running 200 yards lol.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Seen 5 deer and about 12-15 turks running around during the day today. They gotta eat lol. They are just sick of being stuck beded down so they are getting up and running around feeding during daylight hours now. I would go hunt. Snap a good shot and they should be withen earshot when they crash. On the other hand I don't like hunting in the rain just for the fact your bound to get that one deer that won't read the script and fall without running 200 yards lol.

That would be my luck. Two years ago I thought I smoked a stud. He bolted through the CRP 70 yards and then went into the swamp. It was just a light drizzle. Never found him.... I'll pass.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That would be my luck. Two years ago I thought I smoked a stud. He bolted through the CRP 70 yards and then went into the swamp. It was just a light drizzle. Never found him.... I'll pass.

Still plenty of time in the season. I say wait for the snow lol. A lot easier to track lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy and I are using tomorrow to finish up a couple things. Had a stand buckle and break earlier in the year and never did get it hung. Going to hang a different one there tomorrow along with a couple stick ladders with hang-ons in some rut spots. Swap some cards and get out of there. Can't wait to get it done although we will be soaked when we are done.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Wait till this weekend, its going to be great weather

That's what it's lookin' like. I think there's gonna be lots of pictures of dead critters here on TOO by Sunday night. Really looking forward to climbing a tree as soon as the rain pushes through.