Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Brothers Buck

twireman

Kingston, OH
My brother shot this buck last Wednesday evening 10/12/11.

The buck came through the clear cut to his left. He was hunting in a 20 foot ladder stand we had moved about 1 month prior due to some sightings last gun season. Around primetime that evening he had two small bucks working underneath him and he decided to stand up and wait out the rest of daylight. About that same time he heard a deer coming above him and to his left towards him. He first saw the buck walking with his head down. The buck was around 50 yards away at this point and closing fast. He deicded to draw at this point. The deer came to him on a string and turned broadside at around 20 yards. He anchored his Mathews Q2 and let the Rage fly. SMACK!! He bolted back the way he came in.

He called me immediately and we talked things over. He got down and found some blood. I made the hour drive to my parents to help him track. By this time It had been right at 2 hours since the shot. We followed blood for around 50 yards and found the arrow covered in blood from head to shaft. AWESOME. The trail continued really good for the next 50 yards or so. Mind you this is in the thickest nastiest stuff imagineable. The blood started really slowing down at the 100 yard mark until it became small puddles the size of your hand every 20 feet or so. We tracked him around 200 yards that night till 1130 and decided to back out with high hopes of recovering him the next morning.

The next day he and a buddy went out and could not find any more blood at all. They searched for hours that day. I took off work a couple hours early and still to no avail could not find jack shit. We were all sick to our stomachs but my brother was just devastated. It's like this deer vanished into thin air.

He and another buddy searched more Friday up the creek bank and into the dried up pond. Grid searching the hillsides and looking for any clues as to where this guy had gone. NOTHING. Turns out they were within feet of this deer that day but the chest high weeds in the pond were too thick.

The weekend found us again looking for this buck. I hung a stand Saturday moring and I was within 20 yards again of this buck but could not see him.

Monday night my mom was giving the grandkids a ride on the Mule when she crested over the dam and caught a whiff of something rancid. Adam was bound and determined to get on his knees in that stuff the next day and search out the pond. Mom heard coyotes all night in the pond.

Tuesday I headed down there to help him look but before I could get there I got the call I wanted. He was beside himself. He had no idea it was this big. It was not a hundred from my parents house. It had ran another 300 yards over the hill from the last blood we had.

I cant begin to explain how proud I am of my brother and this deer. It is definitely a once and a life timer. He doesnt' have a lot of time to spend in the woods with work and 3 kids. Plus his wife works second shift a lot too. THis past week has been a huge rollercoaster for both of us but especially him. I'm just so glad we could have a great outcome other than losing the meat on him.

A few measurements: 28" left main beam. 26" right main beam. 7" circumference on both bases. 11" g2's.

A few more pictures.

adam buck1.jpgadambuck2.jpgadambuck3.jpg

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Congrats to you guys for locating this great buck....a couple things I noticed...

I don't see a tag on the deer anywhere? Did he tag him or ??????

I think you meant to say he shot it on the 12th.

Did he know the buck was around there? Where was the shot placement?

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
What do you account the buck making it so far?

Broadhead failure?
Shot placement?
Just one of those strange deer things?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Congrats to your brother for continuing the search & finding that buck. Love the left main beam on that thing!!

twireman

Kingston, OH
Gern- At the time of the picture we were awaiting a call back from the Pike County game warden for what date to put on the buck. He shot it on the 12th. He was informed to put date of harvest as the day you find the deer. It was tagged landowner. We found the deer just behind the picture about 50 yards. Also we think we have trail camera pictures of this deer last year. I will find them and post them for your guys comparison as well when I get home.

Been- Both blades were deployed on the rage. Also a complete pass through. The best we can figure he hit high shoulder paddle. He said it sounded very loud on impact like he hit a tree. (no tree in sight). I'm not ruling out we didnt' bump him that night as well. You never know. Tough animals.

Last edited:

twireman

Kingston, OH
Here are a few I think are this buck from last year. The reason I am thinking this are: 1. brows are very similiar. 2. Same kicker off base of Right brow. 3. Kickers off G2's. Whatcha guys think? If it's not I won't lose any sleep just the first buck that came to mind.

buck2.jpg

Attachments

• buck1.jpg
    buck1.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 167

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
One hell of a buck that's for sure. I'd be willing to bet the slits from the Rage were parallel with the spine and sealed up, causing the trail to go dry. That's the No. 1 thing I have against the Rages after killing a few deer with them. And the deer reminded us all of a great lesson: Dying and wounded deer almost always go to water if they don't die quickly. It's nearly a sure thing...

Congrats to your brother. That deer has a little of everything we all love in a big buck!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

MAN! That's a nice one.. I'm happy he eventually found him..

On a side note. I would be really interested in seeing more pics of the wounds etc.. It's no secret that I'm not a fan or rage BHs.... Finding an arrow 50 yards away from impact doesn't sound like a good pass through to me though. Do you have a picture of the head?

twireman

Kingston, OH

On a side note. I would be really interested in seeing more pics of the wounds etc.. It's no secret that I'm not a fan or rage BHs.... Finding an arrow 50 yards away from impact doesn't sound like a good pass through to me though. Do you have a picture of the head?

Yeah I'm not either Jack. Not a good pass through just a pass through. I think the arrow had a tough time going through him. 1 of 3 fletchings were tore off. No pic of the head at my disposal but Adam said both blades appeared to be straight. As far as pics of entrance and exit go he was so tore up we couldn't make heads or tales of his chest cavity. All we really know is bright red blood on the arrow. No gut smell or anything like that.

Thanks for the replies guys.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Regardless as to the broadhead and such, I commend your brother on a great buck and to all involved in recovering the deer. Way to stay after it! Too bad it took so long, but what a trophy!