Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Where do you shop for recurves?

I'm considering the purchase of another recurve. I'd sold all my trad stuff and would like to get back into it. However, I prefer to physically put my hands on a bow, before I make the purchase. Fit and feel is very important to me. I've been to 3 Rivers, in Ashley, IN.

Where do you guys shop for recurves?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Last edited:
Diablo54 said:
What are you planinng on getting?
Definately a T/D recurve...no one piece bows. Also, either a metalic or wood riser (with an undersized grip, 62" or longer and a preference of 45#, but would consider 50# if the draw is smooth and it doesn't stack.

I've had my eye on a Quinn Stallion, but have yet to physically see/handle one. Even so, the reviews have been excellent.

Bowhunter57

tuffshot

The Crew
Hard to get your hands on a particular bow to try unless you go to a 3D shoot where there is a variety.
A Quinn is a good inexpencive bow and built to last, no my cup of tea but good.
You could check out your local shops and see if they could get one of the Hoyt recurves to try out then go to a Trad site and buy a used one for about
1/2 to 1/3 less the new price.
Or a Hoyt Excell riser and a set of Tratech limbs make a good combination.
The good thing about a metal riser is there is a variety of grips available or that the grip off and use tennis racket wrap.

tuffshot,
Unfortunately, most of the 3D shoots are shut down until the spring. I've read a lot of good things about the Hoyt Excel and TradTech limb combos, being the way to go and offering the most options.

I've been to a couple of 3D shoots in the Jackson and Ross county areas and those guys know their traditional archery. If you've not practised much and show up to a 3D shoot in either of those counties, you'd better be prepared to get your butt smoked. :smiley_blackeye: Just the same...a good bunch of guys.

North of me, just across the state line in Michigan, there are a few 3D clubs that seem to carry the same bunch of traditional shooters. The same thing goes at their shoots...better show up with your "A" game. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

tuffshot

The Crew
BH57,

Ross Co and Jackson ranges are my stomping grounds sorry we haven't ran into each other.
There are some indoor ranges with some trad shooters as well.
It is not as much about getting your butt smoked, as it is about the lesson learned with each outing.

tuffshot

The Crew
BH57,

I saw where you signed up on Tradtalk.
Also rememberd that the Kalamazoo shot show is coming up in MI towards the end of January if you can wait that long.
All the big bowyers will be there and alot of trunk load sales can be had in the parking lot.

tuffshot,
The show in Kalamazoo, Mi. is on the 27th, 28th and 29th of January. I'm no itchin' hurry to buy one, so the wait isn't an issue. The wait will give me more time to save up some cash. :smiley_blink:
www.gnbco.com/expo.htm
Yep...signed up on TradTalk, but I've been on Tradgang and Archery Talk for a long time. I hope TradTalk is another good site.

I'd like to get good enough with it to go hunt exotic game in the Zanesville area. :smiley_crocodile:

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

tuffshot

The Crew
Thanks for the link. I have been wanting to go there for years but usually working that weekend
and hate to burn a vacation.
Better hurry on the Zane exotic hunt before the cops get them all / lol

The big trad shoots Like Cloverdale and Denton Hill are good for getting to shoot a lot of different bows / new and used.

tuffshot,
The last time I was at Cloverdale, was in the early 90s.

Gary Frey became the recurve Traditional National Champion. I've shot with him on many occassions and he's one of those guys that has "the gift" and he's disgustingly accurate with most any trad bow that he puts his hands on. He borrowed one of the vendor's longbows, to shoot the course with...and the vendor's borrowed arrows. He shot the course and got 2nd place, in the longbow class. :smiley_arrogant: Most of the Frey family are very good traditional archers. Gary's brother, Brad and their uncle Cy were just as good, but hardly ever shot in any of the 3D shoots. They were from the Upper Sandusky area.

Bowhunter57