Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DEAL Dog Meds.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Where is the cheapest and best place to buy pet meds? Online or brick and mortar stores... Looking for wormers, and flea and tick control, etc.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I tried petmeds.com one time and they wouldn't sell them to me without my vet's prescription......so I went to my vet and told him I needed him to write up a prescription and he tried telling me the drugs were from out of the country and not the same.....blah, blah, blah....so he didn't want to do it.....I figured it was because he would be losing his share of the money on selling the pet meds.

Huckleberry Finn

We used to buy glucosamine chondroitin OTC for the dog at Sam's Club when she got arthritis. Works just like the pet version, just halved the doses.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yeah I would say brick and mortar. Petmeds has to have a prescription. My vet is about the sa,e price on most.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I tried petmeds.com one time and they wouldn't sell them to me without my vet's prescription......so I went to my vet and told him I needed him to write up a prescription and he tried telling me the drugs were from out of the country and not the same.....blah, blah, blah....so he didn't want to do it.....I figured it was because he would be losing his share of the money on selling the pet meds.

Same deal. Why the fugg i need a prescription for flea and tick treatment is beyond me. But the vet tried giving me some line of the same BS... I told him Frontline is Frontline.. Online will always be cheaper unless you tell the vet you can buy it online for YYY price.. Then they make a deal.. .

For the coon dogs we just dip them.. I did it with my house dog last year too... We have a 45 gallon drum with a Lindane mix. Kennel Dip II makes a 16 oz bottle that will make a 32 gallon dip. for 44 bucks.. Store it out of the light in a drum with a lid and it's good for a couple years.. Once a month just pic the dog up and put him in the barrel. He'll stand up and you can use a pot or a sponge to pour it over the rest of them... Keeps fleas and ticks off and kills any that might get on them...

For infections, bad cuts, bites etc. A shot of horse penicillin commonly available at tractor supply.. Obviously dose appropriately. The warning says it can kill dogs.. Whatever.. Hasn't killed one or given adverse reactions yet. Penicillin is Penicillin. 1ml per 10-20 lbs (start low.)

For standard yearly shots TSC also has Spectra 7 shots.. Takes care of the yearly boosters. Kennel cough, parvo, distimper etc.. Like 7 inoculations in one shot.. Runs about 8 bucks.. Also do the nasal Kennel cough inoculation. Between the two you have all but Rabies covered. Which is required by a vet... For a house dog ohio just legalized. a 3 years rabies shot.. It's the same shot as they yearly it's just the state finally realized vets were screwing people requiring a shot that's good for 4 years to be given yearly... Our coon dogs get them yearly because of the nature of their job.. But my house dog gets one every three years...

The spectra 7 shot is easy to give... Just lift the scruff of their neck and shoot it right under the skin.. Have someone hold a piece of cheese and let the dog try to get it from their fingers; he'll never even notice you stuck him.

Last edited: