Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Eagle invasion

hammerhead

When I got home from work today the wife told me that there was an eagle at our pond. I started laughing at her figuring it was a crane or vulture until the kids started saying it had a white head. Wife told me she ran to get the camera but the kids opened up the door and it took off. Then She said it circled back around and dove at the water and scooped up a catfish and flew away. Since the cats are always up on the beach and are all pretty big ( most of them are atleat 8 lbs) I'm starting to believe her. Now the camera will stay in the kitchen in case it comes back. Wish I was home

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That's pretty cool. Hope he comes back and you can get some pics.

I happened to see one flying the river looking for fish while I was sitting in my tree stand not long ago. Pretty cool to see I must say.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
The rule of thumb for Eagles is they fish within 1 mile from the nest. I would say he will be back. If the fishing gets bad where they are , they will move on with in a mile or two and build a new nest close to a new fishing hole and stay till the fish get hard to catch and move again. There is a nest in one of the places I hunt ( the birds have moved now) but to see one up close you could use it as a tree stand.lol

Huckleberry Finn

Really cool, hopefully you can get a picture! Aren't you glad they are our nation's symbol instead of the turkey!

Oh, and welcome to TOO!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yeah u just dont see them here in NW ohio much. about 10 yrs ago we had a nest back in the woods, man that thing was huge.

They're more common than you probably think. Drive up to Sandusky Bay during the summer and you'll see them everywhere. Most people don't notice them because the immature bald eagles don't have the white head and tailfeathers. They look more like a giant hawk for the first few years of their lives. Pretty cool that you got to see one so close to home though!

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I was talking with one of the bird ladys from ODNR a few weeks ago and she said there is nesting birds in 52 of our 88 countys. Here in the county I live in there are two nesting pair that I know of.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
There are some on Alum Creek. I have never seen them in Crawford but with all the city water reservoirs it would suprise me if there there wasn't.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are some on Alum Creek. I have never seen them in Crawford but with all the city water reservoirs it would suprise me if there there wasn't.

I've seen an eagle a time or two, just north of New Washington... so there must be a pair nearby somewhere.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have seen them in my buddies soybean field (just pulled a carp out of the creek) just outside of Morral. And at another one of his propertys just off 100 near the apple orchard.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

We have at least one nesting pair but If I'm not mistaken we have 2 pair here in Crawford County. One Nesting pair is only 1-1/2 miles from where I hunt.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Clear Fork is one of the first places they showed up at around here.

Huck, the pair behind the OSP post at 95 and 71 moved. They moved down the road a bit into Amish country. I sure hope they dont taste like chicken or they will be gone.lol