Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Safety belt level?

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
What level do you guys tie your sefety belt to the tree compared to when you are standing? I have been having issues deciding to leave it high, like shoulder level, or lower. It interferes with my draw arm if I have to turn towards the tree to take a shot if it is at chest/shoulder level. I understand that the lower it is the longer I can potentially fall:smiley_blackeye: but then it doesn't interfere. I know safety first...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I like it to be that if I fall I can still swing my feet over or to be able to grab the stand. Fidning that perfect spot to where the strap isnt in your way when you draw is definatelty a pain though

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I usually stand up in my tree and go about 12 inches above my head, or whatever puts it to where there isn't much slack in my tether when I'm seated. That has worked best for me so far for keeping the tether away from me when drawing. Also, there won't be much of fall if something would happen, and I would hopefully be able to shimmy myself to the platform of the stand since I would still be at the same height of the platform.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I screw in a step on the side of the tree a little higher than my head. I then put my tree strap above that and leave about a foot of slack in it.. I take the tag end of the strap and tie a knot in it.

For me generally the highest I can reach the better it seems to work out. When sitting I like to have it just slightly pulling up on my harness. Once standing to shoot to the right rear (RH shooter) my drawing arm seems to usually goes just under the strap. Best thing you can do is try it in different positions and see if you can draw. Might even want the strap on the tree turned slightly to that right rear to help give a little slack when turning that way.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I screw in a step on the side of the tree a little higher than my head. I then put my tree strap above that and leave about a foot of slack in it.. I take the tag end of the strap and tie a knot in it.

What's the purpose of the screw-in step? Is it to catch the tree strap if you fall, since you leave some slack in it?

This is something that bugs the shit out of me. I don't hunt without a safety harness, but I absolutely hate the fact that I can't shoot behind me or hard to my right, due to the strap getting in the way. My tree strap is usually armpit or shoulder height when standing.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What's the purpose of the screw-in step? Is it to catch the tree strap if you fall, since you leave some slack in it?

This is something that bugs the shit out of me. I don't hunt without a safety harness, but I absolutely hate the fact that I can't shoot behind me or hard to my right, due to the strap getting in the way. My tree strap is usually armpit or shoulder height when standing.

Well that to but mostly to keep it from sliding down the tree because I leave slack and don't cinch it tight to the tree. If there wasn't a step it would slide down by itself.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I put mine just under shoulder level when standing up. It's the only spot I have found for myself that the strap doesn't get in the way while standing up to take a shot or feel like I'm being hung while sitting down.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
bout eye level. I keep a couple tree steps in my pocket incase I fall, I can screw them in and use them to give me something to stand or hang onto as i work my way up to the stand or down to the ground.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
bout eye level. I keep a couple tree steps in my pocket incase I fall, I can screw them in and use them to give me something to stand or hang onto as i work my way up to the stand or down to the ground.

No need for that man. Ditch em. If you hang your strap at eye level and you fall the stand will likely be about crotch or waist level..

In order for you to fall below the level and out of reach of your stand your teather would have to be 7-8 feet long. Even if your teather was at seat level you should still be able to easily reach the platform.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I put mine at or just above shoulder level, the leave enough slack in the strap to move freely, but not so much where the caribiner will clank on the seat of my Millennium.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
At least I'm not the only one who has this issue! I do already turn the tether to the left somewhat cuz I'm a southpaw and have monkey arms. I will try higher than usual next time I get out.