Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best concealed carry holster?

Matt

Norton, OH
Looking for an inside waist band carry holster. I was hoping to get a few suggestions from the fine members of TOO.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I am new to the CCW game, but I bought a DeSantis Soft Tuk and I love it. Very comfortable for me carrying at the 4 oclock position. My brother in law also has a Galco King Tuk that he let me use for awhile, I liked that as well. I'm sure Beentown, BH57 or some others can provide a more diverse opinion.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I use the Galco Jakslide. Love it.

oops. You said inside the pant holster. Mine is inside the belt, but outside the pants.

I don't care for the IWB holsters, but like so much of everything else with CCW, it's all personal preference. :smiley_blink:

I prefer the OWB holsters.
* I have a Fobus paddle holster that's made of Kydex and I like it because of the positive feeling of reholstering. The holster "clicks" as the handgun locks into place...plus, it doesn't colapse if the handgun is not in it, like some leather holsters.
* My other holster is an Uncle Mikes Pancake holster with a thumb strap. I like this one because it's soft and I don't have to watch what I might bump into and cause the Kydex to make a plastic clacking noise.

Both ride in the 3:30 position and depending on where I'm going is what makes me choose one over the other. It's always nice to have options. :smiley_coolpeace: Cost: Uncle Mikes was $25 and the Fobus Kydex was $32.

Galco makes an excellent IWB and it worked great for this guy...you might recognize him. I wish I had half of his speed.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCA2ZNDa-hQ

Hope this helps!
Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
IMHO you can't beat a Crossbreed Supertuck ($80) for an IWB holster. It is a bit pricey but you will have it the rest of your life.

Another good alternative is the Kholster. Same idea as the Crossbreed just not as refined. I have both and would spend the extra on a Crossbreed. I do recommend the kholster highlt to anyone wanting a good IWB holster for a good price.

If you "like" khoslter on FB he runs specials all the time (9/11, Christmas, most holidays) for like 35-40 shipped.

I think a good gun belt is just as important as a good holster. I recommend the Wilderness Tactical. If you lived closer I would let you try my different ones to see for yourself. I carry 24/7 and the belt makes all the difference.

Others to look at...

Leather - Milt Sparks, Tennessee Gun Leather, Many Others
hybrid (kydex and leather) - crossbreed, kholster, and comptac

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
CCW is alot on feel and personal preference. I MUCH prefer IWB rather than OWB for more concealment/retention. OWB is more convenient and I will do it when in the country or when less concerned about concealing.

You might wanna watch some youtube vids of any paddle style holsters especially the ones that rotate. If someone pulls on them they break easilly. I broke mine on my seatbelt in the loader :(

IWB also allows you to tuck your shirt in. It is just more versatile. IMHO anyway. I say all this and tell you that my Dad can't stand either and prefers shoulder carry or belly band which I think is crazy. What are going to do ask the bad guy to hold up while you rip your shirt like Superman?

Ok I am going off the rails here. Ask away about any other questions and I will try to stay on track....lol

Another important thing I like about hybrid holsters...re-holstering. Trying to holster any leather IWB holster and you will see what I mean. The kydex keeps its shape and leather collapses which makes it a pain in the ass.

If you have to use your weapon, after clearing the area. I would rather have the gun on person easily rather than put it on the ground or fumbling trying to holster it while going through an adrenaline dump (just might shoot yourself in the ass, leg, whatever) or a cop seeing a dude with gun in hand. Either one sucks compared to easily holstering with a kydex holster.

Last edited:
How do you dress beentown because i would like to carry iwb. i guess cant wrap my head around the concept. I dont want to not be able to take off my jacket because im carrying conceiled. That is why im using a shoulder holister plus i only have a size 32 waist so i dont have a lot of fat to hide a handgun.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
You can wear whatever. Nothing changed in what I wear except when I first started I lost ten quick pounds so I would have a little more room. Unless you like wearing tight wranglers to show ur junk you should be good with a good holster. IWB with a cheap neoprene can chaffe the shit outta you.

My general wardrobe is jeans and a polo/buttonup/or T. Tucked or not depending on what I am doing.

Oh, one thing did change...I wear a tucked wife beater everyday.

gumbygold

Central Ohio
IWB I also vote for the crossbreed supertuck. Get the combat cut, makes it easier to draw IMO. I also have been wearing the crossbreed gunbelt and it has been going strong every day for over a year.

OWB i'd go with a nice quality leather with reenforced mouth. They keep their shape and don't collapse just fine. Look at Milt Sparks and similar.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
IWB I also vote for the crossbreed supertuck. Get the combat cut, makes it easier to draw IMO. I also have been wearing the crossbreed gunbelt and it has been going strong every day for over a year.

OWB i'd go with a nice quality leather with reenforced mouth. They keep their shape and don't collapse just fine. Look at Milt Sparks and similar.

I have a milt sparks for my 92FS and like it. It stays open just fine for holstering. The only complaint I have about leather is when it is used for IWB. Two handed job then especially once that rig gets sweated on for a while.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am a bit biased....

Dresser

Night stand