Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Email from ODNR

Huckleberry Finn

Anybody else get an email from Honka-Tonk?

Dear Fellow Deer Hunter,

I'm writing to ask for your help collecting additional information about your deer hunting experiences this year. Specifically, we are interested in when you hunted, where you hunted, how many days you spent hunting, and what you harvested. This information will help us better understand how changes in deer abundance, hunter numbers, hunter behavior, and even changes in the landscape that may be influencing the annual deer harvest. We have randomly selected your name from thousands of Ohio's resident deer hunters.

In late November, you will be receiving a link to a short questionnaire that we would like you to complete regarding your deer hunting trips this season. To help you with that, we have prepared a hunting log, which you can download here and print, to keep track of your hunting trips. To complete the questionnaire, you will need to track the following: a) county hunted, b) days hunted, c) deer harvested, and d) location hunted (public or private property). The hunting log linked in this email is NOT the actual questionnaire, so please DO NOT return it. It is intended to help you keep track of your activities. When you complete the questionnaire, or when you're done hunting this year, you will need to transfer the information that you record on your hunting log to the online survey you will receive in late November. It is important that you complete the questionnaire that you will receive a link to in late November, even if you did not hunt or harvest any deer.

We hope that you will consider making this small investment of your time to help us improve Ohio's deer program. Should you have any questions about the questionnaire or the project in general, please contact me at ...................

Respectfully yours,

Mike Tonkovich, Deer Project Leader,
ODNR, Division of Wildlife
Athens

Link to 'hunting log' http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=MEXrBPuphxc=&tabid=23139

Last edited by a moderator:

Huckleberry Finn

Well if anyone wants to participate in their "awwww shit, no body is gonna do this telecheck, so we're gonna need more data so we can continue to fugg hunting up" survey...feel free to participate!

I suppose that's the bad way to look at - maybe I should be glad that they're working to get better feedback from hunters.

PHIL! I'm on the fence here. Help.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How did they get your email address Huck? Through TOO??

Nobody can get you email through TOO.

Maybe he caught wind of my surveys that ill be conducting in vinton county regarding deer sightings now vs 4 years ago.. lmao...

My question is. Why doesn't the dnr open something like this up to the public.. In less than a day they could set up a page with a sightings survey and link it to their homepage..

Either way in December I see me doing a freedom of information act request. Ill get the data.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got the same email... I didn't bring it up because I figured it would just get slammed. I'll participate in it, with the good faith that the data will be used and used wisely. If not, well at least I did MY part. If the ODNR doesn't do their part, it'll show I'm sure.

This reminded me of something I've been meaning to bring up, though. I tried to check in the doe a couple weeks ago over the phone... It was landowner-tagged. So I dial the 877-number, and the first thing it asks for is the permit identification number. WTF?!?!? A landowner tag doesn't have an identification number! It turns out, the only way to check in a landowner-tagged deer is either online or at a traditional check station. What kind of sense does that fucking make?!?!? Think of how many landowner-tagging hunters are going to say "Hell with it!" and procede to butcher the deer without ever checking it in. I'm almost always in support of what the DOW is doing, but they really dropped the ball on this one.

Huckleberry Finn

I got the same email... I didn't bring it up because I figured it would just get slammed. I'll participate in it, with the good faith that the data will be used and used wisely. If not, well at least I did MY part. If the ODNR doesn't do their part, it'll show I'm sure.

Nothin wrong with that...if I was a 'regular' hunter, I probably would. Since I'm nearly an out of state hunter, I probably won't.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I got one too, cant figure out why all they want to know about is kills, and county. You'd think they would want to know about sightings as well.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I got one too, cant figure out why all they want to know about is kills, and county. You'd think they would want to know about sightings as well.

They just want to check the data between this survey and the telecheck info and see if they are missing anything. See if the numbers are close to one another would be my guess.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio

This reminded me of something I've been meaning to bring up, though. I tried to check in the doe a couple weeks ago over the phone... It was landowner-tagged. So I dial the 877-number, and the first thing it asks for is the permit identification number. WTF?!?!? A landowner tag doesn't have an identification number! It turns out, the only way to check in a landowner-tagged deer is either online or at a traditional check station. What kind of sense does that fucking make?!?!? Think of how many landowner-tagging hunters are going to say "Hell with it!" and procede to butcher the deer without ever checking it in. I'm almost always in support of what the DOW is doing, but they really dropped the ball on this one.

How many people do you think will do that anyway. There is people who did it before and will continue, but I bet you will see a hefty decline in checked in deer.