Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

If you had to pick one day...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's getting close to the time to start getting "sick" and taking days off for the rut.
Some of us are very limited with days during the week to take off. If you had to pick one magical day to take off for bow hunting the rut, which would it be? Assume the weather will be perfect for that day... Which is it?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I have halloween weekend as a 4 day weekend. I am hoping to get it done then. I am going to go against my better judgement ( if thewind and temps are right) and sneak up into my one farm in the mornings and hunt all day long.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The 11th. That is my sister's birthday and has always been one of the best days for me. I screwed up on 150" 10 in '03 on the 11th and killed my first buck/bow buck in '03 on the 11th.

I'll be off from the 4th through the 13th this year, so I have a feeling I'll be in for a great 10 days of hunting. That is of course if I can't seal the deal before then!

Schu72

Streetsboro
If you are into the moon phases, the new moon will be on Oct. 26 and will be in the first quater on Nov.2nd. That may indicate an early rut.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I see Veteran's Day popping up. I figured that would be a popular choice.
I'm thinking 11/4 and 11/11. I can feel a bad cough coming on.

I would go with that. Then you can hunt before the full moon plus get the 5th and 6th for good measure. I always see more deer just before the full moon.

The only bad thing about the full moon during the rut is that they run all NIGHT long and hole up trying to rest during the daylight hours. I'm not saying a big ol buck can't be shot during that time because you, me, and everybody else knows that during the rut everything we have been taught and learned about deer can be tossed right out the window for a few weeks.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
For the seeking phase and good buck movement in general you can't beat November 4-7th......but November 8th is when more GIANT bucks fall across the country on a yearly basis....this year should be no different.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Should be interresting this year that's for sure. I had a buck checking a doe on 10/8 at 8:50 in the morning. Something is starting to change with them hornballs.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've always liked Nov.6, and the day after Thanksgiving. Seems I see the really big ones show up just before gun season.