Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Harvest Report

Huckleberry Finn

I've heard that beans are starting to come off around north Central Ohio (Morrow, Richland, Knox)

How's the corn lookin Sam? Is this going to be a long harvest?

Might be useful for those traveling across the state...chime in and we'll be able to keep up...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Still have some green on the leafs of the cornstalks. I figure about a month till they get cut up on my hunting spots. Beans got cut over the weekend :(

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Beans are flying off. Corn on the other hand...ugh. If you got it in early it is getting close. Most still has a lot of green in the leaves.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Beans are in full swing here....probably 40% off already.....I've only seen 1 cornfield cut and most are still a little green. I figure it will be 2-3 weeks before any corn starts falling.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Seen a bunch of corn come off in Wood Co. Not the corn by my woods though. :tantrum:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Beans are coming off in NE Ohio right now, though I heard on the 104.5 ag report that moisture levels were pretty high. I haven't seen any corn being harvested, but they were chopping sileage like crazy last week.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
In Clark the beens are coming off and the corn needs 2-3 weeks.

15 miles north in champaign county the beans are coming off like mad. JDs been helping a friend if his with beens and says they're seeing 55-65. the corn will start coming off next week.. Most of it I have seen is ready. The fields where I hunt will be ran next week.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
We got in 32,000 bushel yesterday at the elevator I work at, which is a pretty good day considering we didn't get a load until Saturday. Moisture levels are all low, mostly 11-12%. We haven't seen any corn yet, and don't expect to for a week or so. There are a few fields ready and a bunch more close but these guys are hauling ass on the beans. With rain forecasted this week, it'll slow things down a bit. We are hoping this harvest stays dry as possible just so we can be done by Thanksgiving

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The thing with corn is that it needs to not only be brown but low moisture. Nobody wants to pay to dry it manually...fuel ain't cheap.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Both corn and beans are coming off here, mostly beans first. Good for my spot is the one landowner is removing corn while my farmer wont for awhile...thats means they will head over to my side after his corn is down. Hes got a great combine and it leaves little to glean but my farmer seems to leave allot of waste.:smiley_crocodile:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I drive from columbus to galion on the way home every day. from what ive seen the last couple days, beans are 50% - 60% down. seen a few corn fields with the first dozen or so rows cut for silage, but for the most part it still needs a few weeks.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The thing with corn is that it needs to not only be brown but low moisture. Nobody wants to pay to dry it manually...fuel ain't cheap.

What does it mean when half the corn in the fields start breaking over? Lol. Cause that's what the corn looks like in champaign county.

Huckleberry Finn

That just means its another good year to own a dryer repair service...them boys be running 80 hours a week plus.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Silage is when they take the corn down (or other vegetable matter) and chop it up. everything to serve as cattle feed also called fodder. Sometimes they bale it from the stalks left over and other times they take a few rows of a crop and use it all for feed that year. When you drive in the country you will see it often stored in long white plastic (giant) bags like huge tubes on the ground or in round bales like hay. Then they will use a bobcat into the end of the "tube" or "ground silo" to scoop it out and feed the cattle.