Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Heaviest GPI in a carbon?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Who and what model of arrows tip the scales on a carbon arrow (grains per inch)?

I think I am going to make my Mathews LX a log shooter ;) for hunting after the season. My arrows are currently 27.75" so something along the lines of 12 gpi would be cool. Heavier even sounds good to me at this point.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Who and what model of arrows tip the scales on a carbon arrow (grains per inch)?

I think I am going to make my Mathews LX a log shooter ;) for hunting after the season. My arrows are currently 27.75" so something along the lines of 12 gpi would be cool. Heavier even sounds good to me at this point.

They make solid fiberglass inserts for some models if I'm not mistaken.. 1,000+ grains for African game is not unheard of.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
1,000 grains is more than I am looking for. Maybe a total setup of 520 grains would be a good number I believe.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
[video=youtube;uQ1S9Z58wkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ1S9Z58wkY[/video]

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That would put my current arrow at around 660 grains. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder how they spin (arrow balance) with that flexible plastic in them? Have you used something like that before Joe?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That would put my current arrow at around 660 grains. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder how they spin (arrow balance) with that flexible plastic in them? Have you used something like that before Joe?

Nope. Just know they exist.. Milo should be along in a bit. He'll have knowledge about them I'm sure.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you will have better luck finding a heavier head than a heavier arrow. 2317's will get you into the 600's...my 300's are around 530 now...shaft weight of 10.1 gpi.. not counting fletchings, wraps, insert, nocks or heads...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
10.1 would be good. Going to look around. I may just stay with what I have for this bow and just get bigger heads. Right now with my arrows loaded:

27.75" @ 8.2 GPI
Wraps on front and rear
Blazer vains
Insert
Nock
100 grain head

I should be right at 420-430 grains. Get into a 155 grain head and that would put me almost to about 480 grains. That should be something like 71 ft/lbs of K/E out of my bow. That is what I am at now (about) but a heavier arrow just plows a little better ;)