Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

mother fugger

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Long story short ....had today off went to shoot my bow opened the case and thought that string looks funny?? Then I realized it was broke! It was fine four days ago , I keep the string waxed and it looked to be in great condition.... my qustion for you veteran bow guys.....what's th best string and how much will this run me??....also I looked at my limbs and they seem to be fine but could they have damage? I called a shop near by and left a message to get it in so he can look at it.

Thanks for the info

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Man that sucks. Strings are like broadheads. We can argue till the cows come home about this one or that. Lots of guys like winners choice. Mine are bowshop made at fishermans warehouse.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Twisted Archer on AT does a good job. I just got my new set in from him. $55 for string and cables any color right now (sale). That is going to take a while to get. For speed I would call around and see who has strings in your size available or overnight.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Man that sucks. Strings are like broadheads. We can argue till the cows come home about this one or that. Lots of guys like winners choice. Mine are bowshop made at fishermans warehouse.

X2 Marks a good dude... but being in NW Ohio, check out winners choice, barracuda, zabra are just a few.... there are several guys on AT that will custom build the string to your bow depending on what kind of string material you want.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
X2 Marks a good dude... but being in NW Ohio, check out winners choice, barracuda, zabra are just a few.... there are several guys on AT that will custom build the string to your bow depending on what kind of string material you want.

Yeah... Mark made mine.. He did an awesome job on my string and cables... He was however quite a bit off on the tuning. I think Milo had to put a full 5-6 turns in my buss cable to get the bottom cam back in time. But they haven't stretched one bit.

Schu72

Streetsboro
How long to strings typically last? I'm guessing it will be variable based on the volume of shooting you do and the care you take of your equipment, but how about a rough estimate.

I replace my strings every year but i shoot at least 3 times a week for at least an hour. I think that as long as the strings and cables are pre stretched and are of the proper string meterail it shouldnt matter who makes them.

Treemonkey,
Give Bill Ernst a call at The Archery Shop, in Minster. If he's got it, he'll install it for you while you wait.
866-471-8981 and it's on 55 N. Hanover St., Minster, Oh...across from the church with the big steeples that you can see miles before you get into town. Depending on where you're coming from it's Exit #99 at Anna and take S.R. 119 west, you can't miss it. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Hahah Dan, You read my mind heading there tonight after PTC ...I talked to him this morning, I drive 66 everyday to and from work! Said he would look at it tonight and let me know what the damage is, sounded like a good guy.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Mr. Ernst has a heck of a little shop! He seems to be a heck of a nice guy too! Not grumpy like most small store owners I have encountered. He has a health dose of bows! So if any one is interested in a new bow he might have one for you. He looked at my bow and said it was the cable that broke not the string but it would be best to replace both cable and string so the timing isn't thrown off. He thought he had a string that would fit in stock ....I think he said 30 some for the string and 20 for the cable....not bad at all.