Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

speed tuning

swamp_donkey819

anyone got some tips or tricks on how to get more speed out of a bow, i got that older pse and it shoots good, and somewhat decent on speed240-250 roughly using a lil heavier arrow made for more penetration, but had a few encounters where deer came in and notcied me draw back since i hunt from the ground, wanted to shoot but was afraid arrow wouldnt get there quick enough before they spooked and ran. but is there any small tuning tips to get a lil more speed maybe change my silencers, speed nocks, different string ? couldnt find anything online besides longer draw length gives the most speed

Huckleberry Finn

Never done it personally...and not sure on tuning tips. I was at a bow show the other week and you could chronograph your bow for like a $1/3 shots...thats all I got.

PSE's (or at least the Baby G I had) are FAST!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
New strings and cables can help, so will a lightweight peep and removing all unnecessary items from the string. (This is subjective. Vibration dampeners on the string help the noise, but rob you of speed.) Obviously having your bow at peak draw weight helps as well.

For me, I took my bow from 265 to 290 by building new Easton Flatlines that were 41 grains lighter than my Axis arrows. I also added a new string and cables. When building lighter arrows, be careful to not underspine yourself or to throw your FOC (front of center) out of whack. I "built" my arrows and ran the numbers before I ever made a purchase...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
shorter arrow , lighter grain tips

Both those are part of the equation, but can present major issues with FOC. It's better to look at going to an arrow with a lighter GPI than simply cutting some off or dropping weight in the head. It's not just that simple when you get down to details...

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I finally got to shoot my new flatlines last night...and I don't know if they are faster because I was thinking ahead of time that they would be faster or if they really are faster...but I'm pretty sure they really are faster...I put my lumenoks on them and shot 6 last night in the last half hour of shooting time (I usually practice at this time)..I immediately noticed a flatter trajectory and I'm pretty sure the arrow reached the target a lot faster than w/my aluminum arrows...I'm extrememly thankful for Jesse's postings about building his flatlines...it was a great read and I learned a lot about building arrows and most importantly it works for my bow TOO and has improved my speed, trajectory and accuracy!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If deer are alerted to you, you aren't going to be able to speed your bow up enough to beat them. You made the right choice by not shooting. The key to killing deer cleanly is to shoot at un-alarmed deer. They are simply too quick when they are on edge, unless they are extremely close- like 15 yards or less.

swamp_donkey819

ok well i got the g5 meta peep, guess its supposed to be lighter then others, i got the cat whiskers but was thinking of either taking them off or switching back to the limbsaver string leaches, new strings and cables i would like to do but the place i took it last time didnt improve speed any at all, lol maybe its cause i took a hoyt to a pse shop to get my custom string, thought about the speed studs but heard they are a waste of time and arrows i guess i could switch to some different ones never though of that actually at all

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
ok well i got the g5 meta peep, guess its supposed to be lighter then others, i got the cat whiskers but was thinking of either taking them off or switching back to the limbsaver string leaches, new strings and cables i would like to do but the place i took it last time didnt improve speed any at all, lol maybe its cause i took a hoyt to a pse shop to get my custom string, thought about the speed studs but heard they are a waste of time and arrows i guess i could switch to some different ones never though of that actually at all

Speed studs work on most bows to add a little speed... The only problem is, you have to have a chronograph to do it. Every bow is different, so you have to try different positions and number of speed studs/nocks and shoot each one through the chrony to find the "sweet spot." Some bow manufacturers will have a recommended placement position for each bow, though. Without a chrony or a manufacturer's specs, you'd just be guessing where to put them... If you're lucky it'll be faster, but if you're not it'll have the opposite effect.