Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

12 coyotes in a pack...

When I arrived at the gate, going to work this morning, the Allen County Sheriff was sitting there. He informed us that they've been tracking a pack of 12 coyotes. :smiley_baby: According to him, yesterday, they took down, killed and ate a full sized doe. Apparently, the neighbors have been reporting missing cats and small dogs too.

This is less than 3 miles from my home. I haven't seen any deer, while bowhunting this fall...so far. I'm wondering if this same pack are terrorizing my section too. :smiley_chinrub: I may have to hang up the bow for a few days and break out the motion decoy, shotgun and a nice sized can of whoop azz. :smiley_blackeye:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Wow.

That is a huge group right there. Not much they wouldn't be able to take down if they worked together. Deer wouldn't stand much of a chance nor would a guy walking into his stand. Kill um all.

Archertl said:
ive never heard of more that two adult yotes together. Sometimes a litter of three pups will stay with Sounds more like a pack of wild dogs. just kind of hard to believe either way they got to go.
Archertl,
I thought the same thing when the deputy said 12 and I questioned his counting method. He said he stood there and counted them a couple of times to believe his own eyes.

My guess is that it's a couple of litters from sister females and they've grouped up to find out there's success and strength in hunting in groups.

Huckleberry Finn said:
Bring lots of shells!
Huckleberry Finn,
You can count on that! I ran out of ammo while crow hunting and it sucked. :smiley_arrogant: 51 crows turned into pedestrians, more coming to the call, a smoking barrel and no ammo.
:smiley_boos:

hickslawns said:
Wish I had time to offer some backup for you Daniel. Not happening this week.
Phil,
Thank you and I'd take you up on it, but I know the kaos of your schedule. :smiley_depressive: I have Thursday evenings to myself, so I may load up my tight patterning shotgun for my front weapon and sling the .25-06 for anything that thinks it's out of range. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

swamp_donkey819

been wanting to try to out the muzzleloader with the scope coyotes sound like a damn good target to lol hope you shoot em all, if not chase em this way ill shoot em lol good luck hope you ruin there day

Huckleberry Finn

ive never heard of more that two adult yotes together. Sometimes a litter of three pups will stay with Sounds more like a pack of wild dogs. just kind of hard to believe either way they got to go.

Did you see the pics Schu or Phil have posted recently?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have seen close to that many personally. There were 9 that went right by me (mostly juveniles) and a couple more 50 yards into the CRP.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Give me a call or shoot me a text next week. If you get after them next week, soccer will be over, and I should be a little more caught up with my work load. If my wife has next Thur night off, I could be game! Love to help you stack some yotes!

Huckleberry Finn

Well i stand corrected. Yotes get thicker and thicker each year

Them sons of bitches are bad. I've never seen multiples run together, only solo's...until I saw those pics. but then again, I was thinking about it, and when I hear (at night) them howling behind mom and dads, its a group chorus... Those pics are crazy though!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In all fairness, the pictures I have of multiple yotes seems to be this year's litter with an adult. In the pictures of the coyotes running down the deer it appeared to be a pair. I know last week in southern Ohio you heard them nearly every night. They would start on one ridge, and then the next ridge over you would hear some, then the next ridge over. Sounded like a few in each group. Last year we had some we were after that appeared to be a group of 4-6. They have come on strong in the last couple years. I only expect the problem to get worse.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Truly some adaptable animals and if they have figured out they can take down bigger meals working as a pack, they will. I have no remorse for taking hand in the slaying of the 3 back in the spring. I would do it again if I had the chance.