Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cotty's Journal

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm home with a sick kid today and with more rain outside I don't have much to do. So, I figure I'd start one of these journals and throw my hat in the ring.

I haven't been out in the woods on my own yet. Every hunt has been with either one boy or both. We've done three hardwoods hunts and 2 field edge hunts so far.

Here's the stats so far: (Jesse, I borrowed your template)

Does Seen: 6
Bucks Seen: 1
Deer Killed: 0
Morning Hunts: 1
Evening Hunts: 4
All Day Sits: 0
Total Hunts: 5
Hours on Stand: 11.5

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang... Dad just got back from cam check. Nothing to speak of. Just does and small bucks. I'm really discouraged and feel like I'm just going to be hunting an imagination.

We've been running cams since June and only have one borderline shooter to show and he's only made one appearance.

Sometimes running cams can really bring ya down.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I sat with Kody this evening in the hardwoods. We didn't see nothing but a squirrel that kept dropping nuts in our vicinity. We did see a small 6 in the field on the way out rubbing a sapling.

My dad sat with Klay in a small field with a turnip and rape food plot. They had a 6 point come in to their left. Klay shoots left handed, so he couldn't get turned for the shot and the buck busted them. A does then came out in the same spot and Klay was getting ready to squeeze one off when she just bolted.

So... nothing for any of us.

Does Seen: 8
Bucks Seen: 3
Evening Hunts: 5
Total Hunts: 6
Hours on Stand: 13.5

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Another evening sit with the boys. My dad and I sat with each kid on opposite ends of the same field as last night. Two doe made an appearance and that's it.
Taking a few days off. Maybe head back out Sunday.

Does Seen: 10
Evening Hunts: 6
Total Hunts: 7
Hours on Stand: 15.5

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What a shitty evening! I get to the hunting property by myself today... finally. I'm all ready to go and NO RELEASE! Wtf??? I look everywhere and it's no where to be found. I text my dad that I must have dropped it out of my storage container at our last hunt with the boys. This spot is about a 30 minute drive from where I am. Of course, he's bored, so he goes out looking right away.
I decide to hit the woods anyway since I never get to go on my own lately. I decide on a secluded stand away from all human traffic that I haven't even visited yet this year. On the weekends, the property owner goes out walking and boogers up most of the area. This place is one of the few spots left alone. I get halfway back a narrow cut that leads to the stand and about 5 or 6 trees had fallen off a high wall blocking the way. FUGGGG!!!!!!
Turn around and go back knowing that chainsaw work is in the near future.
I then decide to go ahead and hunt the stand I killed mine in last year. It's a morning stand, but I'm there so I might as well sit in it. This stand also happens to be right along the owners walking path. Halfway down I jump two does. I see nothing on the 1 hour sit. I shoulda stayed home...

Oh, I almost forgot... dad found my release sitting in the weeds by where we park. It must've been stuck on one of our coats and it fell out.

Does Seen: 12
Evening Hunts: 7
Total Hunts: 8
Hours on Stand: 16.5

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I practice with and carry a finger tab in my pack just in case. I can shoot out to 30 yards with a tab with confidence. Some of you guys with short bows and long draws may have a hard time with tabs.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
What a shitty evening! I get to the hunting property by myself today... finally. I'm all ready to go and NO RELEASE! Wtf??? I look everywhere and it's no where to be found. I text my dad that I must have dropped it out of my storage container at our last hunt with the boys. This spot is about a 30 minute drive from where I am. Of course, he's bored, so he goes out looking right away.
I decide to hit the woods anyway since I never get to go on my own lately. I decide on a secluded stand away from all human traffic that I haven't even visited yet this year. On the weekends, the property owner goes out walking and boogers up most of the area. This place is one of the few spots left alone. I get halfway back a narrow cut that leads to the stand and about 5 or 6 trees had fallen off a high wall blocking the way. FUGGGG!!!!!!
Turn around and go back knowing that chainsaw work is in the near future.
I then decide to go ahead and hunt the stand I killed mine in last year. It's a morning stand, but I'm there so I might as well sit in it. This stand also happens to be right along the owners walking path. Halfway down I jump two does. I see nothing on the 1 hour sit. I shoulda stayed home...

Oh, I almost forgot... dad found my release sitting in the weeds by where we park. It must've been stuck on one of our coats and it fell out.

Does Seen: 12
Evening Hunts: 7
Total Hunts: 8
Hours on Stand: 16.5

That sucks!

I practice with and carry a finger tab in my pack just in case. I can shoot out to 30 yards with a tab with confidence. Some of you guys with short bows and long draws may have a hard time with tabs.

guys with short bows and long draws can hurt them selves . if you know what i mean .:smiley_coolpeace:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
This rain sucks monkey balls! Just sayin'...
I finally get a day with no athletic events and... BOOM! Thunderstorm :smiley_badmood:

We had the thunder roll through around 3. Deer were moving good after the heavy stuff let up. Looks like tomorrow is gonna be about the same too minus the thunder.