Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting pupmed for the timber

matt hougan

Dayton area
I've been hunting in Arkansas for the past 11 years. All but two days of the last 11 years, I have hunted in rice fields. Dont get me wrong, rice fields can be alot of fun. There is simply nothing like hunting in the timber. This year I have four guys going with me Dec. 9-11th for an exclusively timber weekend. I have three different WMA's picked out. We'll start with the spot I found last year. If that dont work out we'll switch gears...

Still, I cant help but get excited about standing amongst the oaks again.

Only bad thing is Belle has been with me for the last 10 years. She will sit this season out I think.

A few pics from last years rice field hunt. Those of you who say calling ducks is not effective I have to disagree. These ducks were killed with a 10-15mph wind in our face. I called at them as hard as I could and although they were not landing they were all killed within 20 yards of the pit.

My good buddy Charles winning the Senior World

Nathan and I hangin with John and Jimbo before the calling contest

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like a great time, Matt. I've always been jealous of the duck hunters in Arkansas. That flooded timber hunting would be awesome!

Derek j

Knox Co.
Hope you have a good time! We have a group of 8-10 guys going down for a hunt with Quack Attack guide service on December 26th. This will be our first trip to Arkansas, so we hope that all the hype is true!!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We hunted the flooded timber back home in Ms when i was growing up. Nothing in the world like seeing them cut through a big ole Cyprus swamp.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Lookin forwrd to pics for your hunt this year Matt. A trip down to hunt some flooded timber is definitely on my list!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Enjoy it Matt! I refuse to try it much like I don't want to try bird hunting or turkey hunting. I am afraid I would like them too much. I am already spread too thin!

matt hougan

Dayton area
Phil, you're a wise man. Me, not so much. I have been head over tea kettles with duck hunting for years. For me being able to hunt with my buddies is way better than swaying with the tree tops in a solitary stand. I get to smoke my cigar, drink my coffee, tell jokes etc. I dont have to sit motionless, silently, or pee in a used water bottle, or worry about how I smell. If I should shoot my limit today I can still go out and shoot my limit tomorrow. When deer hunting the mystery of what may come over the ridge pales to the mystery of what may fly over the trees.......