Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I smell you...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I wish I would have had time to grab my camera last night before the big doe got in my wheel house, but last night was a great example of what a deer will smell and tolerate. Around 6:30 last night, I heard a commotion near one of the few acorn producing oaks on our property this year. It wasn't long before I caught a glimpse of two fawns and an obviously nervous doe. When I got in my stand last night, I threw in a chaw of Trophy and commenced to spitting right out of the tree. Around 5:45, I took a healthy piss right off the end of the stand. Seeing the nerves of this doe at full tilt, I figured I was in for a show if she got down wind. I hung that set for a southerly wind, but after thinking over this weekend, I feel it will be a great wind regardless of where its coming from given the availability of shots in a 360 degree view. And as luck would have it, this doe came from the north and wanted to head south right through my wind...

I watched in amazement as she worked in to my wind at 30 yards where she instantly threw her nose in the air and went to work. For nearly five minutes, she sniffed the air while working closer and closer to my stand. As the wind began to pick up with the storm front approaching, she was at 12 steps getting a full nose of me, my gear, my chaw spit, and my piss. She eventually gave up and went back to feeding, working her way back to the fawns and proceeding towards the bean field south of me. If there was ever a moment I should have been winded, it was last night! :smiley_clap:

Needless to say, I'm not worried about spitting or pissing out of the stand any longer! And I have just one more story to share in regards to the power of smoke. I had freshly cleaned clothes on last night, was showered, and my gear had been outside for a few hours prior to the hunt. I did work up a good sweat on my way up the ridge, but it was nothing that wasn't obviously covered by the smoke. The other good thing was my fear that the stand might not be concealed as well as I would normally like. But she walked past my stand at 12 yards in a roughly 270 degree radius of the stand and never once acted like she saw me. When she was completely down wind of me, she was staring up at me for a brief moment, but she quickly went back to staring off in the direction she came from. So it gained a good bit of confidence in that stand TOO...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice. Still leary about peeing out of a stand and still try not to spit out of my stand, but glad it worked out for you with that doe. Power of smoke is amazing. Many of the does and the 130" 8pt I passed on last week came in down wind without a care in the world. I only saw 2 deer throw their noses in the air last week when down wind and they never blew or stomped.

Let me correct myself. I did have a group of 6 move in at last light and change their course of direction on me. They were in a low area downwind where my scent was sinking into a bottom. Got to a certain point and turned around. This was prior to last light. Still not sure if it was me or something else bothering them. They were several hundred yards away. They came back out later and turned around at the same spot. That time they reached the spot, stopped, one of them blew, and they all took off. I can only assume it was my scent they had picked up. Good lesson in thermals while hunting rolling pasture land for me last week. Probably a lesson this flatlander would have never seen otherwise.

Kujo

Maumee, OH
smoke from a fire or bee smoker. "the scent smoker". The thread about smoking up your clothing is a good read.

Jesse, good story, I don't go out without smoking up first. I'll piss from the stand, but I won't spit. Guess I am thinking about the chemicals in my grizzly wintergreen.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I never do either from the stand....just one less thing for ole mossyhorns to be nervous about. Spit and piss all you want, but if you lose track of the buck you are hunting that could be the reason....just saying.

I know piss turns to ammonia and all that, but piss isn't ammonia when it comes out of the body, and that's when you are hunting. I would be more concerned about the spitting though. There are a lot of foul smelling germs in the average mouth....

Maybe the yearlings and the doe were around you last night, but who's to say a big buck wasn't 100 yards out and got wind of something he didn't like?

Not starting a pissing match so to speak, but we are hunting animals with senses 1000's of times better than our own. I question as to why you would take the risk?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I, too, was able to witness the power of smoke yesterday evening. Momma doe came in to the plot, worked here way downwind of me at close range, scent-checked for several minutes, and went back to her business. BTW, she won't be scent-checking any longer. ;)

This weekend my 7 year old son and I sat in a pop-up blind with both of our clothes well smoked. Saturday evening we saw 6 deer, 2 of which were 10 yards behind the blind and directly downwind of us....eating leaves off of the trees. No shot opportunity. Sunday evening him and I were in the same blind and at one point had deer, mostly does and fawns 360 degrees around us and the big doe I ended up shooting came directly from the downwind side of us. What an experience for my boy as we let him finish tracking, for his very first time, a real nice fat doe.

Diablo54

Outside
My uncle killed a 155 incher last year while i was with him he was peeing and spitting out of his stand the whole time.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yesterday evening I hopped in a ladder stand overlooking a creek some 20 feet below me down hill... I HATE ladder stands, especially ones that are only 15 feet... Especially ones hung by gun hunters who don't care about cover etc... But alas, the stand was there, and i didn't feel like packing my sticks in to climb in my set 100 yards further down the creek.

About 7 I had 3 small bucks come in from the west with the wind out of the NNW. They walked within mere feet of the stand. As they got about 50 yards to my east they started walking up the hill.... I sat and watched them directly down wind of me and eye level at 50 yards or so... They milled around in this small clearing for about 10 minutes... Not a one of them getting jumpy. The cool thing is they are all on cam.. And the cam is in video mode!

I originally purchased the smoker to disprove it... I was tired of hearing about this product on the forum that I thought was a scam from day one...... I was going to expose it as such too... That was 4 seasons ago... I'll blow this thing wide open one day... lol

Diablo54

Outside
Is that what your uncle told you to tell people?!? lmao

When are you and Moundy shooting again? Kinda feel bad about busting your balls having never met you. It'll be much easier once I actually see you shoot!!!

Haha i see. I have thevideo of the kill. Ill upload it for ya someitme. we could shoot any time, but we have slowed down now that seasons came around.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I still enjoy reading these type of stories. Hang with it Jesse, you may just kill him while he is sniffing your pee.