Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckslayers Rainy Eve Buck

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Hey guys, Finally connected :smiley_clap: I have been waiting since season opened for a chance. Now what will I do on my rut vacation? Anyways back to the event, I have been watching this buck on trail cam for a while now and have been getting daylight pics of him in one of my plots.

I decided to put up a ground blind and brush it in.

First night I hunted from it I seen four bucks and a doe, One of the bucks I couldn't really see what he was because he came out at dark. I have a sneaky suspicion it was this buck I killed. Jump forward to last evening. I headed out about 4. I was feeling the weather front pushing through would bring em out early and I was right. 6:15 pm, A three point enters the plot followed by the ten point I was after. Talk about heart racing, looking eye level at a nice buck. He walked straight towards my blind and turned broadside at 25 yards. I put the 20 pin right behind his front leg and let the rage fly. I heard the arrow whistling through the air and seen him turn abruptly towards me. Thwack, and off he went, tail half up. He slowed down as he entered the woods. Oh no I thought, What happened. I checked the arrow, stomach contents, end to end. No blood trail and it was spitting rain. I walked over to where I seen him last and still no blood. I decided to leave and look for him this morning. Depression set in, mind was racing, What could I have done different? Been more patient perhaps, waited for a quartering away shot. I was so discouraged but a couple TOO members gave me hope. I performed a grid search starting at 0730 this morning and found him around an hour later. I thank God for the opportunity to hunt and to find this magnificent animal.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice buck, man! All the work you put into that plot sure was worth it! So where did the arrow end up hitting him? Did you get vitals at all, or just guts? Details, details, details my dude.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Barely touched the liver, plenty-o-stomach. However, the rage after it passed through the body made a cute little laceration on the rear leg just to show its sharpness.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sweet buck man... Good idea to back out... Was your arrow really "whistling"... What happened. Did a blade open or something?

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Nice read and a great buck. Its what gets my heart beating fast. All your hard work has payed its rewards and by waiting till morning was a seasoned hunter's decision. Congrats Buckslayer.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Heck yeah Seth, that is one hell of a buck, congrats! I bet it was hard to back out and leave him lay overnight, but it looks like that was the smart thing to do!

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Heck yeah Seth, that is one hell of a buck, congrats! I bet it was hard to back out and leave him lay overnight, but it looks like that was the smart thing to do!

I didnt have a blood trail at all and since it was dark I knew I wouldnt be able to find him, plus the 12 hour gut shot wait time was in my mind.