Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tritonbill's Hunting Log

tritonbill

NE Ohio
I am going to take a try at keeping you all up to date with my 2011/2012 hunting adventures. I am really excited about this year even though I got somewhat of a late start. I wish you all the best of luck this year and that you are able to enjoy the outdoors, your families, your friends and have a successful season. :banana:

tritonbill

NE Ohio
9-24-11
I had some decisions to make for opening weekend. Should I hunt at a new piece of property in Salem, should I hunt with my brother and cousin's husband or should I stay home. Well the weather as you all know shaped up to be very nice for opening morning on the 24th. My brother talked me in to going back home (about an hour away from where I live now) to Harrison Cty where we grew up and he still lives. I decided that would be the best, spend some time with my brother and hunt with him and my cousin's husband. My bro is going in for hip surgery mid October and then will be spending the winter recovering in Florida (since the last 2 hip surgeries didn't go well).

Well Friday evening I went down home, met up with my bro and Miles at the camper. We were all excited about going hunting the next morning but none of us had scouted as much as we'd like to have. Stands were in place, a few cameras up and thats about all the prep we had in! Hit the sack around 10:45pm and sweet dreams. I got in my stand Saturday morning about 6:40am, still dark and ready to go. The sound of the woods quickly came alive and I was in the zone! Around 8:00 am I heard some rustling behind me and did took a sharp look back to see 3 doe about 35 yards behind me. Immediately my heart started racing...that's right, over a few does!! I wasn't even sure if I was going to get to shoot at one but I was pumped to see the first deer from my stand for the season! Unfortunately one looked right at me, didn't get spooked really but kinda mozied off the direction that was away from me. Maybe 20 minutes later I had a couple more does follow the same path. This time I pulled back because it looked like they may come my way. Well... I was wrong but at least I got to pull back my compound on one! About 9am I got a text message saying Miles had shot a doe so my bro and I got out of the stand and went to help Miles. Miles was elated because it was his first doe ever and his first with his compound bow!! We talked about the shot and then started tracking. Blood trail was not real heavy but enough that we were able to track it and teach Miles a little about tracking, in the pines to make it even more interesting! We found his deer about 170 yards away almost by the road, bonus ,makes for a short carry to the truck. We showed him how to field dress the deer and let him do it mostly on his own, he did an awesome job! We took a look and he had a nice lung shot but came out a little far back on the other side.

Saturday night I had a pig roast to attend for one of my friends, the family and I went to that. Our gift to him was a Belgian Triple that we had brewed for the event and man did we enjoy that :)

tritonbill

NE Ohio
9-25-11

I decided to head to the new property in Salem! I had mixed emotions about this and barely had any prep or scouting in for this trip but I figured I would wing it! I got there before daylight and headed for my makeshift blind. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of luck. The signs look incredible though. The property is mostly all bedding area surrounded by woods and a big bean field next door. The property also has a pond and apple trees...what more could a deer want right!? The downside is that there are no real good trees to hang a stand. I need some help hunting on the ground because I've never been successful at it. I did see 3 deer Sunday morning, 1 that I didn't spook and 2 that I did!

I decided not to go out on Sunday afternoon/eve because it was just too warm. Worked around the house and did some airsoft shooting with my son!

tritonbill

NE Ohio
uploadfromtaptalk1317500593881.jpg
In my stand, sure hope It stays nice!

Last edited:

tritonbill

NE Ohio
10-01-11
I made it out tonight despite the wind and rain and good ole mother nature treated me to a break in the weather!

Tonight seemed like it was going to be a slow one but around 5:30 I looked behind me and caught a glimpse of 2 bucks, one pretty nice 8 point. They had me wondering where they came from and if they somehow spotted me as they were heading away from me at that point.

Around 6:15 a doe appears about 20 yards from me. I pulled back as it jumped over some briars. I had a pretty clean shot through the tree canopy I thought but my arrow deflected off something because I totally missed the doe :( I looked for my arrow but it was too dark to find it, I will look again tomorrow

Not quite the evening I wanted but i still had fun.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Sounds like a pretty good hunt minus the miss! Wish I could have been in the woods this evening. Keep at it, it will only get better from here on out!

tritonbill

NE Ohio
This week I have gained some confidence in my new bow! I have made it out to shoot a few times during lunch and evenings. I wish the outlook on the weather wasn't so warm for the weekend. I will hunt some though!

Last edited:

tritonbill

NE Ohio
A buddy went out with me today at lunch and we did some filming of me shooting at 20-30 yards. I am hoping to catch some bad habits on film.

tritonbill

NE Ohio
10-8-11
The hardest part about tonight was making the decision to go! It was 80 degrees when I left the house but I thought, why not go out! Went over to Salem to a piece of property I've only been to a couple times and figured I might as well learn a little about it. Upon pulling into the driveway at about 5:40pm I had 2 deer to my left hopping and jumping away. I slowly got ready trying not to break a sweat and make the short 300 yard walk to where I was hunting on a path next to a bean field. I figured tonight I would try one of those Tink's All Season insense attractors so I lit one of those up and it was blowing into the beanfield out in front of me to my left. About 6:20pm I was looking out in the beans out in front of me to my right and to my amazement I saw 2 bucks hopping along in the beans. They looked to be decent but it was hard to tell at a little over 200yds away. Maybe 15 minutes later I had a doe and her fawn come within 25 yards of me. It got out in front of the direction the incense was blowing and couldn't figure it out but decided she wasn't so sure. She made quite a few hops a little further out into the beans and then went back to the direction she came from!

I'm kinda glad I went out for a short hunt even though it was a little warm!

tritonbill

NE Ohio
This morning I saw 3-4 deer, one small buck at 20 yards staring eye level at me , I was on the ground.

Tonight right at dark I had 3 deer come out of the Woods about 30 yards away but no shot.

tritonbill

NE Ohio
10-15 evening and 10-16 morning.

Well I hit the weekend off on Saturday afternoon and decided to check some trail cameras. I think it is safe to say we hit the "october lull" in our woods over the past week because I only had a few deer on the cameras over the past week which was definately a decline in sightings on camera. With that fine news I decided to take the time early afternoon to move a stand in prep for some "chasing phase" activities in a couple weeks. The move I made was slightly up the ridge where in years past I've seen bucks corral'ing the does and making quite a ruckus!

With the winds the way they were on Saturday afternoon and evening I decided to hunt that stand since it was a big Ole tree it seemed about as safe as any! As the evening turned out even that tree was rocking a little, what made me really nervous was the surrounding trees and the thought of a branch snapping but all was good!

In the end Saturday evening I didn't see any deer but I gave myself an award (mm...beer) for staying in my tree! haha.

On Sunday I hit the same tree!

Here is my summary of the two hunts: ..... .... .... That's right.. a total of 0 deer sighted! October Lull can end now.. thanks bye.