Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Weather and your Bow.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Does the weather play a part in how well some of you do with your bow? A few years back I had a operation done and they had to break 3 ribs and left me with arthritis in my chest when it start to get cold out. I have been using the bow all summer, but the last few days with the rain and the cooler temps it seems I can only draw it 2 or 3 times before I have to fight it to get it drawn back. Being just a few years north of 50 years old, I hate the thought of having to start using a cross bow but I also dont want to give up the best part of hunting.

camofry,
I seen these things coming, years ago...carpal tunnel, rotator cuff, arthritis, etc. and started shooting lower poundage. I've killed just as many deer and placed in as many 3D shoots with 55#, as I ever did at 70#. :smiley_bril: The technology in today's bows are such that the arrow weight and bow poundage is all related to flat trajectory and speed.

Anyone that's bowhunted deer in cold weather conditions knows what it's like to be dressed up like the Michellin Man and trying to pull a bow back. :smiley_arrogant: It's much easier with a lower poundage bow.

I have scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and shooting a bow throws my back out of alignment. The "one sided" exercise of drawing a bow causes this to be worse, until I can't pull my bow at all. I had to do left sided exercises to get my spine aligned...and thereafter, to this day, I have to keep up with some upper body exercises, so that I can shoot a bow. This may be seen as a pain in the butt, but it keeps me fit and allows me to shoot a bow...so I keep after it. :smiley_asswhip:

I've only been shooting a bow for a little over 5 years... 32 years over 5 years. :smiley_blink: Yep...I'm a few years north of 50 too.
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am 36 and in decent shape. I threw my ego out the window last winter and dropped the poundage on my bow. When it is bitter cold and you have been sitting for hours in the wind, 70lbs is tough for me. Never mind the fact I am built like a white Steve Erkel. I dropped to 64lbs and it is much easier. Helps draw without much motion on those really cold days. I would have zero issues dropping to 50lbs if that is what I had to do to continue drawing a compound.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't know.. When a deer comes in i can never remember me actually drawing the bow.. I must get retard like strength cause i just keep my eyes on the deer and can't remember the draw cycle at all.

Ohiobigbuck

hey phil your not that small, but i did get a chuckle from the reference. I was thinking about dropping mine also from having shoulder surgery in june but as of right now everything is going good.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I don't know.. When a deer comes in i can never remember me actually drawing the bow.. I must get retard like strength cause i just keep my eyes on the deer and can't remember the draw cycle at all.

I'm with you. I'm an average build at best and draw #69@29 no problem.

Did I mention I'm turning 40 soon?