Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finally...

saddlepants

central Ohio
I got something to watch from my stand tonight. Some does but hey, meat right? I aint seen nuttin yet till tonight and in my own back lot. If I sit on the ground just a leeeetle closer to that old oak tree the does gonna die. I switched up my morning spot for an evening sit and finally had something to stare at. I even had a moment to clinch up my release but something came along and pushed them away. No Flagging but they left pretty quick after about 20 mins of relaxed grazing in the open field. I dont think they winded me - they were looking up towards the neighbors house when they decided to go. The oak must not be dropping corns yet because they headed there first and didnt stay under it very long at all. Need to get them to find MY food plot?? Its on the other side of my trees. Im thinkin of adding some cmere deer to it??

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Be patient... They'll find it... In my opinion don't waste your money on all that cmere deer stuff. Just plain old corn works wonders sometimes it just takes a little time to find. Maybe add some apples for smell, they'll find it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Be patient... They'll find it... In my opinion don't waste your money on all that cmere deer stuff. Just plain old corn works wonders sometimes it just takes a little time to find. Maybe add some apples for smell, they'll find it.

Ditto...

The power of golden acorns is something else and once they find it, they'll be there daily. Good luck!

saddlepants

central Ohio

Ive hunted over corn, and apples, and sugar beets blah blah blah. My problenm is my own property is very small so This is the main reason I started a food plot and its only about 30X50. I was hoping something different might help show the way. I ve had a friend with great success with 3 day harvest. The oak is not actually on my property and I dont have permission to it so I have to have another source close that they will come visit with a complimenting "course" to their daily needs. Its so dark and thick before the base of the Oak I have spooked them off more often then not just trying to get to the stand. I can see them go to the tree but not once they are under it - but they sure as hell can see me~!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
around here bait isnt very effective until late season. If the deer want corn they dont have to go far to get it, we are pretty much surrounded by it. after the crops come off and the acorns are gone it might be a more useful tactic.