Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

gonna have a sleepless night

sat in my stand for few hours tonight , seen some chipmunks , took couple shots at them with my practice arrows , getting close to shooting time being over i decided to walk the edge of the pasture field which connects to a corn field back to my car, got to the edge of the corn field and was adjusting my back pack , looked over and not even 40 yards away looking at me was a nice fat doe , she couldnt see me cause of the weeds in her way , so i slowly knocked an arrow put my release on and slowly , and i do mean slowly snuck up to the clearing in the weeds , she knew something wasnt right and kept sneaking closer and closer to the opening in the weeds , the whole time she is bobbing her head and checking the wind to try and find out what i was , thankfully the wind was blowing from her to me , she got halfway through the clearing and the nieghbors dog barked off in the distance which made her turn her head the other way , which gave me time to draw my bow and settle my 20 yard pin right behind her shoulder , i touch my release and watch my arrow hit her , she jumps ,runs into the over grown pasture field and dissapears into a huge thicket ,good blood trail , no arrow , i track her for almost 2 hours ,she never bedded down didnt start bleeding real good for atleast 100 yards , but when she did start bleeding she bleed like a stuck pig , i kicked her out of the brush once and figured i better back out and let her bed down for the night then take back up the track in the morning , my first archery deer and im gonna have a sleepless night but going after her first thing in the morning

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What did the blood look like, UK? Dark colored, or light colored? Foam, no foam? How long did you wait before taking up the trail? Sorry to hear you're going through this, man... It definitely is a shitty feeling. Try to give some more details... maybe we can figure out what happened.

What did the blood look like, UK? Dark colored, or light colored? Foam, no foam? How long did you wait before taking up the trail? Sorry to hear you're going through this, man... It definitely is a shitty feeling. Try to give some more details... maybe we can figure out what happened.

dark colored no foam , there was a few drops of light colored where i shot her , but that was the only blood i found till she hit the thicket where she startd to bleed real heavy , this thicket was is so thick , we were on our hands and knees just to get through it folowing her blood last night , then we bumped her and thats when i told my buddy that we will back out and give her time to die , when she hit the thicket she started bleeding everywhere , she was standing when we bumped her