Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

my hunting rig , ( for now)

this is what i will kill my next deer with . a 1966 bear kodiac . and dead heads on ben pearson sharts . the arrow come from my great unkle . his bow dates back to 1966 , im thinking he bought the arrows when he bought the bow . the dead heads was first introduced in 1964 . they sold for 5.95 a half dozen . he shot the bow one time and said screw this . he hit his arm he said . now i have it . im gonna put it to use . IMG_1185 (640x480).jpgIMG_1186 (640x480).jpgIMG_1187 (480x640).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Sweet Hoot! You're an admiration, for sure.

P.S. How do you know Ben Pearson sharts? rotflmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those are some mean looking broadheads. Nice rig, Hoot!

This may be a dumb question.... But I'm curious. One thing I notice is that a lot of guys that are into the Trad stuff seem to be collectors of many different makes/models of trad bows. Is it difficult to switch between your different bows and shoot each one accurately? I mean, does it require you to practice a little bit with each one.... Or is it something that, once you figure it out, you can be proficient with any of them? I've never really shot a longbow or recurve, but I'd like to try it one of these days... and this is something I've always kind of wondered about.

Those are some mean looking broadheads. Nice rig, Hoot!

This may be a dumb question.... But I'm curious. One thing I notice is that a lot of guys that are into the Trad stuff seem to be collectors of many different makes/models of trad bows. Is it difficult to switch between your different bows and shoot each one accurately? I mean, does it require you to practice a little bit with each one.... Or is it something that, once you figure it out, you can be proficient with any of them? I've never really shot a longbow or recurve, but I'd like to try it one of these days... and this is something I've always kind of wondered about.

after i set this outfit up . i walked out to see if the arrows would fly right . i walked out my door that is 28 yards from my trarget. stepped to about 25 yards shot all three arrows into a group about 3 inches low and in a 3 inch circle or smaller . its kinda hard to explain . shooting truely instinctive is a plus . like pointing your finger . you dont have to look down the shaft , but you know where its pointing .when shooting one of my longbows or selfbows . the arrow is sitting within a 1/4 to 1/3 inch above my finger . some recurves put the arrow sometimes as high as an inch or so above the finger . most of these guys who think they are archery gods will tell you that there is no such thing as a true instintive shooter . to those guys i say . lets get on the gym floor and turn out the lights to total darkness , you count to three and give me one shot with a rubber blunt . that usualy shuts them up .

so being a instintive shooter gives me the freedom to shoot what ever bow i like , and not worry about aiming . i know perty close to where the arrow is going . i can shoot a perty good 6 arrow group shooting one arrow from a different bow every shot . i have shot the bow and arrow all my life . i have slacked off here in the last 3 or 4 years . dont shoot as much as i should . .i would rather be lucky than good any day. hope this helps, and when you try for the first time , shoot close , start at about 5 yards , and move back as needed .

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
When I used to do trad I likened it to throwing a ball. You can feel the difference by the weight/feel of the ball on how hard/high you have to throw it.

Huckleberry Finn

Oh good, someone else asked a dumb question so I can as well...

Hoot, is it safe/practical/wise/ok to shoot an arrow that was made in 66?? I mean, given my age, that's like prehistoric! From what I know about trad bows they are also somewhat temperamental...so this one was taken care of well?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
after i set this outfit up . i walked out to see if the arrows would fly right . i walked out my door that is 28 yards from my trarget. stepped to about 25 yards shot all three arrows into a group about 3 inches low and in a 3 inch circle or smaller . its kinda hard to explain . shooting truely instinctive is a plus . like pointing your finger . you dont have to look down the shaft , but you know where its pointing .when shooting one of my longbows or selfbows . the arrow is sitting within a 1/4 to 1/3 inch above my finger . some recurves put the arrow sometimes as high as an inch or so above the finger . most of these guys who think they are archery gods will tell you that there is no such thing as a true instintive shooter . to those guys i say . lets get on the gym floor and turn out the lights to total darkness , you count to three and give me one shot with a rubber blunt . that usualy shuts them up .

so being a instintive shooter gives me the freedom to shoot what ever bow i like , and not worry about aiming . i know perty close to where the arrow is going . i can shoot a perty good 6 arrow group shooting one arrow from a different bow every shot . i have shot the bow and arrow all my life . i have slacked off here in the last 3 or 4 years . dont shoot as much as i should . .i would rather be lucky than good any day. hope this helps, and when you try for the first time , shoot close , start at about 5 yards , and move back as needed .

Makes perfect sense to me, Hoot. Thanks for taking the time to explain that. And BTW, I for one sure as hell wouldn't take the bet that you'd miss me in the dark. lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
hay screw you mr. man :pickle:.. lol. i did that on porpuses , to see if some one would notice .

I had trouble focusing on reading the damn post after that!!! :smiley_crocodile:

That's badass Hoot! I love hearing stories about the equipment you are using to kill deer. Thanks for sharing man. I sure hope you knock one down soon so we can see the aftermath of those broadheads!!!

Oh good, someone else asked a dumb question so I can as well...

Hoot, is it safe/practical/wise/ok to shoot an arrow that was made in 66?? I mean, given my age, that's like prehistoric! From what I know about trad bows they are also somewhat temperamental...so this one was taken care of well?

first . most trad bows are not that temperamental . if it is hard to get a arrow to fly out of , something is wrong . ost of my bows will shoot shafts 10 lbs over or ten pounds uncer . i dont beleve in bare shaft tuneing . i dont hunt with shafts without feathers . arrows are not any different than any other wood product . remember settin in your grandmas chairs . as long as the wood is safe , and they seem sound i dont worry about it . remember , a traditional bow slows down when you let go of the string . a compound speeds up when you let go of the string . the bow im shooting them out of is also a 1966 model bear kodiac , 60 inch . hope this helps

I had trouble focusing on reading the damn post after that!!! :smiley_crocodile:

That's badass Hoot! I love hearing stories about the equipment you are using to kill deer. Thanks for sharing man. I sure hope you knock one down soon so we can see the aftermath of those broadheads!!!

jesse, im so damn bored with this deer hunting i have to keep thinking of new ways to do it . the last thing i killed with a dead head was a black cat . damn near cut the basterd in half . slung guts every where . they are 1 5/8 wide

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
So did you shoot one with a deadhead before you shot that one with glass the other night?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is awesome! You are an inspiration to me Hoot. I am hoping to get into the trad gear and the more I read about you doing it, the more I am thinking I will have a trad bow in my hands next year.

So did you shoot one with a deadhead before you shot that one with glass the other night?

no brock i didnt . the great bow hunting God told me to take the self bow . lol. next time out i will try to take the dead heads and the 66 kodiac. but i did pick up a set of sights for the compound today . i actualy picked it up . i mite use it in a couple years . would like to kill all my deer this year with a different set up.