Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Decoys?

saddlepants

central Ohio
I'm lurking for opinions on Decoys this early in the season. Any views on this? I have a buck/doe interchangeable decoy and have used it a few times with no luck but saw no deer nearby those days anyhoo. What would you use, if at all this early. Over a food plot? Over bait? :smiley_depressive:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have never used one early in the year, but I've seen it done before with bedded doe decoys near or on destination food sources. I prefer waiting until the last week of October to break out my deke. I like using a half racked Carry-Lite Bucky Junior in an area where he's visible from a long range. I hunt a 50 yard wide, 200 yard long creek bottom between two ridges. I have bedding to the south and food to the north. I rarely decoy outside this area. Can't be much help on the early season approach however...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have two Renzo does that scared a nice buck (to me) to death. I never used them again.

epe

Lancaster
I have two Renzo does that scared a nice buck (to me) to death. I never used them again.

We had a 2d decoy scare away the biggest buck he had ever seen. But a 3d decoy helped get my biggest ever. But this was the first week of November.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
My opinion is that it is VERY difficult to kill a real mature buck using a decoy (during archery season), but if you are ok with shooting a 1-1/2 or 2-1/2 year old then it can be done relatively easy from my experiences. A mature deer is smart enough that most of the time he will figure out the decoy isn't real and keep a safe distance from him. If you can set up your decoy in exactly the right position based on the wind and at the same time getting it the right distance from your treestand you can make it happen. I have had plenty of opportunities at bucks using decoys over the years, but I can say that decoys have cost me shots at 4 bucks that would make the books had I not used the decoy....It is just another thing to try and have fun with. Good luck.