Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fire Piston

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Anyone ever try to make a fire piston? I may try to out one together sometime if I ever find the time...

Let me know if you have DIY experience.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Hmm that is a new one for me. Care to share?

Works like a diesel engine, sorta. You use compressed air to ignite a piece of char cloth or tender. Kinda hard to explain so YouTube it and watch some videos. It's more of a wow factor than it is practical when you compare it to other fire starting methods. Cool though, nonetheless. :)

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Looked it up. Cool for demonstration but not real useful compared to other methods. If I were to do one I would make it a clear one so that you could see it happen.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Looked it up. Cool for demonstration but not real useful compared to other methods. If I were to do one I would make it a clear one so that you could see it happen.

That would be sweet, but I reckon the transparency would disappear faster than an Obama promise due to the smoke and heat that is created in the chamber.

What materials do you suppose could be used for a transparent fire piston? I suppose only the end on the chamber would need to be clear.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Anything poly. As long as it is clear it should work since air pressure is doing all the work. Just has to be strong enough (couple mm's thick) to take the pressure of being pushed.

[video=youtube;Win_t0xtcQs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Win_t0xtcQs[/video]

I would shoot this dude a quick comment and see where he found his piston and cylinder.