Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Derek j's 2011 hunting log

Derek j

Knox Co.
I finally got out to the ground blind I set up on my farm that overlooks 8 acres of alfalfa and clover. The field looks great, and we have had a lot of deer activity in it since the last cutting. I prefer to hunt from a stand, but couldn't resist the thought of taking my boys to the blind with me. I have 2 stands and a climber with multiple areas that are good spots.
So far I have seen 4 hogs and that's it. But this last hour should be good. I will be sitting in a tree in the am. Hope everyone has had a good day!

Derek j

Knox Co.
Well, I tried to shoot her. Unfortunately, I nicked the bottom of my window on the blind and it kicked the arrow to the right. She was 45 yds when I took the shot. The arrow just missed her. I am extremely glad she was facing right, because her facing the other way probably would have resulted in a gut shot when the arrow hit the blind. Also glad that the miss was on a slickhead, cause I would be fuggin pissed if it was a big buck! Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

Derek j

Knox Co.
Had a small doe feeding around this morning, but she never gave a shot. Kicked up a big bodied deer coming into the woods. It didn't blow, so that's a good thing. Hope the next hour is better than the first.

Derek j

Knox Co.
The morning wasn't a complete bust. I did see 3 does come within 40 yds of me, but the area they were in is just to thick to even look for a shot. Have some stuff to take care of this week, so I am hoping to get back in the woods on Wednesday or Thursday. Good luck to everyone who goes out this week.

Derek j

Knox Co.
So far I have seen one doe that cut the tractor path short. The woods are alive though even with water drops constantly falling from the leaves. Hope everyone else is enjoying their day as much as I am.a

Derek j

Knox Co.
Stayed out till 10, but didn't see anything but the one doe. Had to leave the woods early due to a trip with my wife to Columbus. Hoping I will get back in time to do an evening hunt.

Derek j

Knox Co.
All tucked into the stand for another doe hunt. The wind isnt good for the back of our property where the bucks like to hang out, do I will look to fill the freezer again. Nice and calm, should be a good day!

Derek j

Knox Co.
Well, got the smoker out and tried to smoke up....chips just wouldn't cooperate so I guess you could say I'm half baked. Got 40# of corn put out to my right, and waiting for something to walk by. Hope everyone else has a good night!