Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dantes log

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
looks like starting a log is the thing to do.

A.M. temp - low 50's
Wind - ESE 5 to 10 MPH
partly cloudy clearing in the late morning
High temp - mid 70's
Barometer - 29.97, falling
moon - sliver, wanning

Had the usuall opening morning blunders. Note to self, mark your trail better, getting turned around in the woods in the dark because you spaced your trail markers to far apart isnt much fun.

Anyway, I got in stand and settled in around 7:00. At 8 oclock 2 small bucks came through. They came in from behind me, which is the direction I was expecting, but when they got close to my tree they went the wrong freakin way! Instead of staying on the trail and coming around to my right, they went behind my tree and came in to my left. That put them down wind. They knew something was up, but they didnt run, They milled around right behind me for a while and then wandered off.
The first one ws a forhorn, and the second was a basket rack 6. I dont think I have any trailcam pics of either one but I'll check. the six was starting to show bladed beams. If I could have gotten turned around without getting busted I might have arrowed the 6. He wasnt huge but he would have made a fine first buck. I will have to remember that forkhorn, he seemed to be the smart one. He was leading the way, and he was the one that figured out something was not cool.

nothing else the rest of the morning. Plan to go out with redcloud later this afternoon.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounded like a good morning hunt.... minus the getting turned around and all lol.... good luck with Adam this afternoon.... hope you both score.....

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

thats him. no pics of the 6 though

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I hope some critter bleeds this evening lol. I don't know if Dante will be wanting to kill anything unless it's a monster buck. Work comes early and He probably won't want to clean and butcher a deer tonight lol.

Me on the otherhand am shooting the first slickhead in range or one of my big bucks on cam lol.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I don't know if Dante will be wanting to kill anything unless it's a monster buck. Work comes early and He probably won't want to clean and butcher a deer tonight lol.

Thats a chance I'm willing to take. LOL

I could just pack the fugger full of ice and bribe a buddy into checking on it a few times tomorrow until I get home. I wonder who I could ask to do that for me?:smiley_clap::smiley_chinrub:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Thats a chance I'm willing to take. LOL

I could just pack the fugger full of ice and bribe a buddy into checking on it a few times tomorrow until I get home. I wonder who I could ask to do that for me?:smiley_clap::smiley_chinrub:

I don't know but I would guess he would be a helluva good guy to do such a thing for ya.

Need to start thinning out some does out there this year. NONE get a free pass from me this year lol.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
evening hunt
conditions were the same

very warm this evening. had to cut the hunt short due to family issues.

plan on moving the ground blind tomorrow after work.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
morning temp - low 50s
wind - south 10 - 15 mph
mostly cloudy with scattered showers
high temp - low 60s
barometer - 29.83 falling
moon - new

had to cut my hunt short this evening. because I was lucky enough to get to help adam get his buck out of the woods.
the deer were definately on the move tonight. hope it holds up till this weekend.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
morning temp - low 50s
wind sw 5 mph switching to w at 15 to 20
cloudy with chance of showers
high temp mid 50s
barometer - 29.62 rising
moon - first quarter

heading out in a few. not sure what to expect. I'll be hunting from a blind (which is different for me) that has only been in place for a few days.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Good luck Dante..... hopefully Adam will be coming out too help you drag one out this morning.......

Good Luck man.

This wind could make it go either way.

1) Get the deer up on their feet and moving
2) make the deer hunker down and not move much at all.

Kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of day.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good Luck man.

This wind could make it go either way.

1) Get the deer up on their feet and moving
2) make the deer hunker down and not move much at all.

Kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of day.

My best buck too date came on an afternoon hunt when the wind was blowing 20-30 mph it was circleing like mini tornadoes and this buck walked out like it was nothing....... wierdest hunt I have ever been on.....

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
nothing this morning. I do have to say I like the whole ground blind thing. out of the wind, out of the rain, snug as a bug. I have discovered this peticular blind is a little small and difficult to bow hunt out of, but I can see myself investing in a larger one sometime.

going back out this afternoon, gonna hunt from a stand this time. see what happens.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
wind - NW
cloudy, slight rain at dusk
Temp - mid 50s
barometer - 30.01 rising
moon - first quarter

Sat in "hucks stand" Had 4 does and 2 small bucks enter the field around 6:45. they came within range but I didnt shoot because it just didnt feel right. The beans are about ready to come off. i hope I get another chance to hunt this stand before they do.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

havent seen this guy before.
he is standing 10 yards from my stand at midday.... while I was at work.

hope he shows up someday while Im there. he looks like he came from north to southfrom behind my stand, the same way those 2 small bucks came in on opening weekend. the doe bedding area is south of the stand. this is gonna be a tough place to hunt, they come from all directions, but I still think a southeast wind is ideal, given the route I need to take to get to the stand.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
wind - sse very little wind tonight, 2 mph at best
sunny, switching to partly cloudy in the evening
Temp - low to mid 70s
barometer - 30.28
moon, a few days from full

sat in hucks stand, saw a doe on the way in at 3:30 in the afternoon. other than that no sightings. wind was very mild, at times there was no breeze at all, thought that might be a factor in the deer movement. I know if my sense of smell was my number one defense and there was no breeze to carry scent to me, I might be a little uneasy.

Time to start planning all day sits.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
wind - wnw 10 - 15 mph, gusts to 25 mph
partly cloudy, slight rain in the am
Temp - am - mid 40s, pm - uper 50s
barometer - 29.6 rising
moon - full

sat the groundblind int he a.m., nothing
moved to dawsett in the p.m. wind was to strong to stay on the field edge. set up a camera and decided to move to the hang on stand. nothing but a doe as i was leaving. found a new scrape, set up a camera to see if it the big boy making it.