Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

uglykats huntign log

i didnt wanna feel left out so i made one to , ill be hunting this evening , i gotta butcher 14 chickens , and do some house cleaning before i go out to hunt , they have been hitting my feeder at my one property pretty hard the past few weeks , so im hoping to get a deer at the feeder tonight , buck or doe it dont matter , it will be my first archery kill , and im hoping to get it on video

thanks for moving this i didnt see the other sub forum till now , anyway , i got out for the evening hunt ,took a couple practice arrows with me just incase a squirrel got close enough , this new property has some serious tree rat infestation , ill be taking care of them here in the up coming weeks , they are murdering the feeders ,all in all i seen 27 squirells , had a doe come in and bed down about 50 yards away and just sit there and watch the feeder or maybe she was watching the shootign house , i think she knew something was up she is an old doe and needs takign out , she is def on my hit list , i was in the shooting house about an hour when the thunder starting rolling in , when i moved to check the sky i notcied a pretty good wasp nest above me and did my best not to interupt them didnt work , after looking round for something to knock the nest down with i must have pissed em off and one ended up in my shirt after doing the hokie pokie and shakign the shooting house all about trying not to get stung after pissing off bout 10 angry wasps , well that scared the doe of and i went to sit in my shooting house get half way up the steps and it starts sprinkling , i figure ill wait it out , that didnt work either i heard the rain coming from a mile away and tried to play beet the rain to the car , i made it just in time , even though i didnt get a shot at any deer i had fun practicing pullign back on the squirrels even though none was cose enough for a shot , but there is always tomorrow

Last edited:
IMG_1605.jpg2011-09-28_09-50-18_406.jpg2011-09-28_10-09-33_606.jpg2011-09-28_10-13-21_543.jpgIMG_1608.jpgIMG_1609.jpgwell got out yesterday for the last few hours of shooting time and boy am i glad i did , not only did i find out i can make chipmunks jump about 3 feet in the air when a practice arrows flys by thier head but i also got my first archery deer, after putting the fear of god into the chipmunks for getting into my feeder i decided to get down and make my way back to my car . i was hunting the edge of a old pasture that had been grown up into weeds and briars and couple days ago i had butcherd some chickens and had some escape so now my inlaws have feral chickens running around , i figured i might run into them in the old pasture and get a shot at them , well i got a shot at em but missed one cause of the weeds, so i work my way up to the corn field that borders my inlaws yard and decide to take a peek down the fence line to see if anything was down there , low and behold 40 yards down the fenceline i see a deer standing looking in my direction , i drop my pack and slowly knock an arrow and start making my towards a four wheeler trail through the weeds , well he couldnt stand not knowing what this big blob was crawling on the other side of the weeds , so he makes his way towards the other end of the trail that leads out into the edge of the corn field i figure he keeps on his route he will pop out at the other end of the trail 20 yards away and give me a perfect broadside shot .
i get to the end of the trail and sit on me knees and watch him slowly make his way towards me now by this time my adrenaline is pumping so hard that this deer looks like a big ol fat doe, here it was just my eyes playing tricks on me , as he walks towards me he keeps bobbing his head and checking the wind thankfully the wind was coming from him towards me , the wind was right the yardage was right , its starting to look like im gonna get my first archery deer , as he steps out into the path he is looking right at me , im thinking how am i gonna draw my bow on him and he still looks huge to me , maybe it was cause i was on his level and not up in a tree . well god was looking out for me cause the nieghbors dog barked and he turned his head to look for the dog which gave me time to draw my bow and put my 20 yard pin right behind his shoulder , i let the arrow fly and watch it hit its mark right behind the shoulder , he jumps and takes off over the fence and into the pasutre zig zagging through briars and head high weeds , byt this time im shaking so bad i can barely call my buddy to come help me track him . i cant beleieve i just shot my first archery deer , well its getting dark quick and i knew i hit him so while i wait for my buddy to get there i go look for my arrow , i dont find it anywhere and my heart sinks , now im thinkking i missed the deer at 20 yards .
my buddy shows up and i still havent found my arrow , so we go to where he jumped the fence , i find to little specks of blood , yes i did hit him , we follow the trail he followed into a huge thicket not finding any more blood till he hit the thicket , then we find a blood trail a blind man could follow so we track him through the under brush and out into a weedy patch where we bumped him again , so i decide to pull out and come start where i left off in the morning.

i get back out there this morning after dropping my daughter off at school at pick up the trail where i left off , the rain had washed away and blood that he may have left behind so i start grid searching the area i last seen him last night, the whole time im texting cotty , well i happen to look out into an opening and see a doe standing out there so i decide to take a break and smoke a cancer stick to calm my nerves , well i finsh the smoke and head down a path towards the creek , then i see him bedded down , im thinking crap he isnt dead , hey wait how isnt he dead with all the blood he lost , and im screwed cause i aint got by bow with me just my hunting knife and my camera , so i send a pic to cotty and then start sneakign up on him thinking im gonna have to tackle this stupid thing and stab it to finish it off , so i get with in bout 15 feet of him and he jumps up and kinda run and staggers down the hill farther im thinking crap it wasnt a good shot , i look down and there is a huge blood clot on the ground where he was bedded down , i wait for him to bed down again and do another stalk on him this time with knife in hand im gonna get this deer one way or another , i get with in ten feet and he stands up im thinking ok he is gonna take off again i need to do something , but the time i got the idea to jump on him he falls over and takes his last breath , im extatic and start text pics to every one , and i realize he isnt as big as i thaught he was , and he was a button buck not a doe , but im still proud as can be , i got my first deer with a bow and learned deer are alot more tuff then i gave them credit for , all in all he went about 200 yards and bedded down and thats where he stayed till i found him this morning , after i gut him out i look over his insides and found i hit one lung and the liver , next time im aiming at the shoulder instead of right behind it, heres the pics

Buckmaster

Portage
Good follow up job Mark. You may want to be cautioned about the adrenal rush the deer had during the whole ordeal. That meat may be best served as ground. It could be a little gamey tasting. I've been there and done that.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I'm glad you found her....I mean him.....I mean it.....whatever.....great job, great story.....reading it I felt like I was right next to you watching it all happen.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Mark, do you have a 3D target? If not invest in one it'll help a lot when aiming at deer.... becomes second nature after awhile....

well got the stand moved today , and got another feeder put out , my inlaws have been seeing deer in this spot every morning and every evening , so im looking hopeful

2011-09-29_16-18-29_162.jpg2011-09-29_16-18-37_547.jpg

the white lines are paths that the deer are using on a regular basis this is also the spot i shot my button buck at , the blue dot is where i got the feeder at

uglykats log star date 10022011 , im up at 5 am eagerly anticipating todays hunt , it will be the first hunt in the new stand site , they have been hitting the feeder hard , will i come home with another whitetail under my belt , or will the squirrels drive me to the point of jumping head first out of my ladder stand , only time will tell,

would sound better with william shatner narrating it .........im off the the tree tops folks