Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lone Wolf Sticks

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
A few questions...

How high can YOU get with a set of 3 sticks?

What did you pay?

What accessories did YOU also get for your sticks?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
JJ, I believe they say 15 or 16 feet with three sticks. I just paid 165 or something like that to my door for 4 sticks from a dealer in Ohio off ebay. I would also recommend the sling that they have on the Lone Wolf site for carrying them into the woods and hanging them.

If you do decide to go with the LW sticks, check out Greg Flemings video on youtube on how he carries his in and hangs them. I've heard from multiple guys in my area that use them that this is by far the BEST way to use them.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
A few questions...

How high can YOU get with a set of 3 sticks? You, maybe 16-17' max since you're tall.

What did you pay? I paid the same $154 for four sticks and bought an extra at $42. Plus shipping.

What accessories did YOU also get for your sticks? The carrying strap. But you need to get 4 Versa buttons and an extra strap since you have the Millennium. And have Greg show you what to do...

Ta Da! :D

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A few questions...

How high can YOU get with a set of 3 sticks?

What did you pay?

What accessories did YOU also get for your sticks?

A gy on AT did a side by side on Muddy and LW a while back. They were set at a 19 inch gap. I do about 24 inch gap sometimes more depending on clothing.

AT Post
One thing to remember is that when you buy a package of LW sticks you get three sticks and when you buy Muddy sticks you get four sticks. The first photo shows the overall height side by side between the two. The LW made it about 13' from the ground to the top step. The Muddy sticks made it about 13'6" from the ground to the top step.

You have to remember though you have to use an extra Muddy stick to get the same height as LW. So no matter the height compared the muddy setup will always be 2.5 pounds heavier.. However i think it's a trade off. The Cam rope lock system on muddy is super fast, hassle free, no metal to clang, no strap to goober around with etc. The sticks are shorter. Meaning I can get them in some nasty crooked trees and trees with limbs all over etc. They also have steps on both sides, top and bottom. Much easier to stand with both feet at the same level when hanging sticks and the stand, than it is to stand with one up high and one down low. And since they only have one step on a side it's not like you can switch easy if one gets tired.. IMO the extra 2.5 pounds is well worth it.

With my five sticks at a 24 inch gap i can get right at the 20-21 foot mark measured from the stand platform.

If I was to do the same gap with a set of 4 LW Sticks. It's also right in the 20-21 area.. 2.5 pounds lighter than the muddy.. Same height, but not as versatile, or Cadillac esq.. lol

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Well, I have the Muddy sticks and used this for the first time this weekend...the process seemed slow, I'm sure it was because it was my first time. I was just wondering in case I decided to switch to LW in the future, but for now, I think I am going to stick with my muddy sticks for this season. Using my ALICE pack I was able to make a nice compact back pack with my Millennium stand, and I used a ratchet strap to attach the Muddy sticks to the bottom of the stand. Maybe I am giving up on the Muddy's too quick, I don't know. We'll see what I have next year...or next month...concerning sticks.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I average 5' per stick, and you can really stretch them out if you climb a tree with lots of limbs. That video that Greg has on youtube is ok, but I heard he's a reall a-hole. Wouldn't listen to a dang word that kid has to say, especially when it comes to climbing sticks and treestands...juss sayin'...

I wouldn't mind having one Muddy stick to use at the top of my LW set, making it easier to step into and out of the treestand. If you do decide to go with LW's John, let me know, I may buy a Muddy stick off ya...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Will do, bud!

Ditto.

And yes you will get faster with them. They are actually very fast once you get the hang of hanging any suicide stick be it Muddy or LW. Gregs video is a great way to do it.. I use the same type shoulder strap system so I can swing them around back and forth. It takes me about 20 min to get set and ess to tear down. Plus if I'm hunting a questionable area I can take the bottom 3 sticks out with me to lunch etc.

I use 2 small ropes. One tied to my belt that is tied to the stand. (so i don;t have to go down and get it) And One tied to the stand platform that is tied to my bow and pack.. Pull up the stand and hang it. Get in and reach down to grab the bow rope already tied to the platform.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
That's the thing, Jack. I don't know how to keep the sticks together and attache them to a should sling, or my climbing belt. If you can take pics and post them that would be great.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I use 2 small ropes. One tied to my belt that is tied to the stand. (so i don;t have to go down and get it) And One tied to the stand platform that is tied to my bow and pack.. Pull up the stand and hang it. Get in and reach down to grab the bow rope already tied to the platform.

Great minds think alike. I do the same, except I hook both ropes to me, one on each side of my waist. Up the tree once, down the tree once. With the Millennium, I can have 5 sticks and the stand set in 15 minutes. It probably takes me that long once I'm in my stand to get everything situated. I always try to be in the woods plenty early, just cause I'm so particular in how I set stuff up. Then if I have some extra time, I take me a lil' nap in the Millennium.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
John, buy yourself a Versa button of of LW's website, and one of their cinch straps. Attach the versa button to the back of the bottom stick, and then use the cinch strap to secure all the sticks together. That is my plan this fall. I'm gonna use the strap off of my last LW stick to secure them all together.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's the thing, Jack. I don't know how to keep the sticks together and attache them to a should sling, or my climbing belt. If you can take pics and post them that would be great.

multi-stick.jpg

They should have came with a length of strap (Circled) On the bottom of every stick is a snap button like on a jacket. The other one is on that strap. This is so that when you unhook the strap to grab a stick the strap can't fall to the ground. Snap that strap to the bottom of the bottom stick, Connect the buckle and cinch tight...

Do like Greg does in his video and swing them around front. Lay them on your linemans belt. Unbuckle and slide one stick towards you out of the stack. Cinch the rest back up and swing around your back.

I'll get pics of how i have my shoulder strap attached.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You can just take an old shoulder strap off of a bag, and attach two d-loops to the bottom stick, hooking the shoulder strap to it. Then you can leave it on all the time, and you don't have to worry about it sliding up and down the stick or coming unhooked.

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
View attachment 286

They should have came with a length of strap (Circled) On the bottom of every stick is a snap button like on a jacket. The other one is on that strap. This is so that when you unhook the strap to grab a stick the strap can't fall to the ground. Snap that strap to the bottom of the bottom stick, Connect the buckle and cinch tight...

Do like Greg does in his video and swing them around front. Lay them on your linemans belt. Unbuckle and slide one stick towards you out of the stack. Cinch the rest back up and swing around your back.

I'll get pics of how i have my shoulder strap attached.

Alright, I gotcha now... I should have been able to figure that out...now I'm embarrassed.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Great minds think alike. I do the same, except I hook both ropes to me, one on each side of my waist. Up the tree once, down the tree once. With the Millennium, I can have 5 sticks and the stand set in 15 minutes. It probably takes me that long once I'm in my stand to get everything situated. I always try to be in the woods plenty early, just cause I'm so particular in how I set stuff up. Then if I have some extra time, I take me a lil' nap in the Millennium.

I did hook both straps to me a couple times. One on the right and one on the left. I found the one on the right side (where i swing my sticks back and forth) would get in the way. So I tried both on the left and the stand would tangle in the other one when pulling it up. Since i went to one rope on me and one on the stand i haven't had and problems. Just what works for me.

themedic

OHIO
here is a trick I use to get a few more feet. I only do this for evening hunts and if the tree is a good canidate for going high. The first stick goes about 6-7 ft off the ground. I do this by leaning a stick againt the tree, then stand on it and strap your second stick on. The re-use the stick you stood on. Also I typically put at least a 4-5 ft gap between sticks. No reason you cant get 25 ft with 3 sticks if you really want to.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
here is a trick I use to get a few more feet. I only do this for evening hunts and if the tree is a good canidate for going high. The first stick goes about 6-7 ft off the ground. I do this by leaning a stick againt the tree, then stand on it and strap your second stick on. The re-use the stick you stood on. Also I typically put at least a 4-5 ft gap between sticks. No reason you cant get 25 ft with 3 sticks if you really want to.

Good way to get yourself hurt too. Welcome to the forum btw...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Also I typically put at least a 4-5 ft gap between sticks.

Dang. I am all arms and legs and don't think I could do the 4-5' gap. 2.5-3.5' is about as far as I think I would feel safe stretching them. Are you half orangatang?

themedic

OHIO
Good way to get yourself hurt too. Welcome to the forum btw...

I dont deny that you could get hurt doing it.... but if your in shape, careful and comfortable with it, then im just letting people know what you CAN GET out of them. I cant stand seeing guys put a one foot gap between sticks.
Im very comfortable climbing trees and Ive been using the lone wolf sticks since they came out, Ive climbed a lot of trees and think im pretty good at it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I dont deny that you could get hurt doing it.... but if your in shape, careful and comfortable with it, then im just letting people know what you CAN GET out of them. I cant stand seeing guys put a one foot gap between sticks.
Im very comfortable climbing trees and Ive been using the lone wolf sticks since they came out, Ive climbed a lot of trees and think im pretty good at it.

is round a shape?:smiley_chuck::smiley_banana: