Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trophies already in the freezer?

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
The new tagging system has me wondering just how many trophy bucks are already sitting in the freezer waiting to be called in Saturday and given tag numbers. Im sure that there will be alot of big ones fall this weekend but just can't help but to think that some are sitting in the freezer waiting for thier offical tag number. Am I the only one who questions the new tagging systems ability to help out the cheaters? :tantrum:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Wouldn't be much different than thawwing him out, dragging him through the mud and leaves and taking him to the local check station where the girl behind the counter who doesn't know a damn thing about deer or deer hunting plops the tag on his rack. I've had this opinion since it started, poachers will be poachers, atleast this system will help me out when I shoot one on a warm night and can't get it checked in until the next day.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Cheaters are cheaters and have probably been doing it for years one way or another.

Before this system went into effect there was a local carryout that I know the owners of. The girls they had working in there on weekends and evenings didn't know anything about deer other then a buck has antlers lol. They wouldn't be able to tell ya if it was shot with a gun during bow season. They only went off your drivers license to fill out their paperwork walked outside after the paperwork was done and slapped a tag on it.

My biggest problem is the fact people can say they shot it in a different county and utilize the urban tag for doe too. Never leave your property and count deer for all 18 deer allowed lol.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I realize that other states have been doing it for along time and that no system is going to be flawless, I guess the ones that will be mostly affected are the small store owners that used to tag the deer and it created more business for them. I just felt like this system means you dont even have to go to a public place, with the possibility of other sportsman being present, to tag your trophy.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I realize that other states have been doing it for along time and that no system is going to be flawless, I guess the ones that will be mostly affected are the small store owners that used to tag the deer and it created more business for them. I just felt like this system means you dont even have to go to a public place, with the possibility of other sportsman being present, to tag your trophy.

I can agree with that, but with gas at $3.50 a gallon I didn't like the fact that I was forced to drive 25+ miles one way to find an open deer check station on a 70 degree day.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
I wouldnt worry about it aholdren. The survival skills these big bucks have make them the least likely to be killed by anyone....Im not too worried about poachers in the area i hunt because the terrain and their survival skills will make the majority who chase them look like fools. They save themselves.

I know your concerened about it but i wouldnt worry much.:)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

Agreed. the little drivethru that I mentioned in my last post had been a check in station for years until this new system went in. They stoped selling licenses this year because of the new system and other stipulations. The reason they stoped selling tags is because they have to have a dedicated phone line to run the tags now. Would have cost my buddies dad $400 to add that line to the store plus the copier,paper, and ink. He said screw all that. Plus, ANY place that sells licenses HAS to be a check in station as well. So the Wal-mart, Drug Mart or any other place has to do the phone check in for you if you can't or choose not to lol.

My buddy said it will hurt business a little but he said " They still need smokes,beer,soda and ice for hunting season or for after the kill " so they would be just fine without being a check in station lol.