Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gotta be kidding me...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
S-SE wind tomorrow night and an E wind all day Sunday! SON OF A BITCH!!! I have no real options for hunting Moe with those winds. I can survive with the S-SE as long as it stays more southerly, but an E wind is complete shit for any type of hunting/fishing!

Looks like I might leave the wife at home in the morning and hit the ridge to take advantage of the N wind we'll have until lunch. Decisions, decisions...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do yourself a favor, Jesse... Just forget about it until tomorrow morning. Walk outside, see what the wind is doing, THEN make your decision. Weathermen have the easiest job ever... Even though they're wrong 80% of the time they still collect a paycheck.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I have one great spot for an east wind, but I can almost never hunt it. It figures I can't go tomorrow.:smiley_blackeye:

Like Jbrown said, wait until tomorrow and see what you really get. Heck, half of the time in the stand a light wind switches directions by the minute.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
these winds are crap for both my spots bro....I know your pain, the wind is perfect today for mine, then crap all weekend, then back to perfect on monday...whats up with that?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Forget it all. Just smoke up and hunt!!!!!

Not with a 4.5 year old brute on opening weekend. I trust smoke and believe in it's ability to cover my stinky ass, but I still hunt the wind. Smoke exists in my routine as a last resort, not the first line of defense. My approach is to remove all the variables and let the smoke cover the "mistakes". There is no sense in pushing the envelope just yet...

Buckmaster

Portage
I wouldn't hunt him until the wind is right. No sense in tripping his senses. He'll be in summer pattern for about 3 more weeks.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Not with a 4.5 year old brute on opening weekend. I trust smoke and believe in it's ability to cover my stinky ass, but I still hunt the wind. Smoke exists in my routine as a last resort, not the first line of defense. My approach is to remove all the variables and let the smoke cover the "mistakes". There is no sense in pushing the envelope just yet...

Better safe than sorry this early, I would want things to be perfect everytime I went in after him!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
You have time to get ol Moe. Wait until the winds are more in your favore next week buddy.

I see we are going to have a SE wind and I don't really have a setup for any easterly winds but I'm taking a climber for my afternoon hunt so I can get on the northside of a east/west trail That I happened to find the other day. I am also trying to decide if I should smoke up yet or not only because of the fact nobody has been doing any burning yet. Hmmm, decisions. They suck lol.

swamp_donkey819

hell could be worse, like me, shootin my bow today to make sure it was hittin right, well it was and wasnt thinking shot the wrong spot of my old target tore my fletchings to shreds, im screwed for tomorrow, id rather have bad wind then no arrows to hunt with, good luck tomorrow

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
hell could be worse, like me, shootin my bow today to make sure it was hittin right, well it was and wasnt thinking shot the wrong spot of my old target tore my fletchings to shreds, im screwed for tomorrow, id rather have bad wind then no arrows to hunt with, good luck tomorrow

I would be heading to the nearest bowshop or TOO buddy with a fletching jig and getting me some fletchings brother... pretty cheap fix!

I would be heading to the nearest bowshop or TOO buddy with a fletching jig and getting me some fletchings brother... pretty cheap fix!
Yup
If you lived near me I would do it...

Beentown

Me TOO.......... Swamp Donkey bro..Do yourself a favor an save a few$ an by a jig an etc an do your own arrows..Its not pricey to get a cheap start...For my hunting arrow I went with a Bohning Helix jig(40$) a 100 pack of Norway 2 inch predators can be had for 11$ an that mix an match ur colors..I use cheap plain white wraps u can get 5dz for 12$ an loc tite ultra gel glue 4$ ..You could upgrade you jig later..Just a thought....I just fletched a few practice arrows an wrecked a vane on the 1st or second shot..But i can have that arrow back up an going in no time..

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Fuggin weather man. My forecast completely changed. ENE wind is now a SSW (prevailing) wind. 61 high to a 69 high. Rain to only a 20% chance...

Beentown