Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Words from a wise man

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
About an hour or so ago an old guy I know and I went and checked trail cams. After that I drove around looking for deer. We pass a cow pasture and all the cows were laying down. He tells me that if the cows are laying down the deer are laying down. Well we never saw a stinking deer... I've never heard that before but it sure was true tonight...lol

Huckleberry Finn

I went out to the sportsmans club tonight and was shooting off the platform. I heard something behind me and momma and three fawns came down the well road at 40 yards...gave me chills to have my bow in hand from an elevated position and deerz in front of me!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
My grandmother use to tell us when the cows were laying down, it was going to rain...

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Well JD that was a pretty good nugget to pass along. Makes perfect sense.

Unlike my great grandmother - who used to say "If you cut your toenails on Sunday, you'll be ruled by the devil the whole next week!"
(Nobody from that side of the family cuts their toenails on Sunday.)

Buckmaster

Portage
We pass a cow pasture and all the cows were laying down. He tells me that if the cows are laying down the deer are laying down. Well we never saw a stinking deer... I've never heard that before but it sure was true tonight...lol

That's what Grandpa used to tell me. I still hunt anyways because I can't be watching bedded cattle and deer hunting at the same time.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Yes right before and just after a front deer move alot! but during fronts, they bed up just like cattle and other farm animals..... basically just riding out the storm waiting for a break using body fat!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nope, it's not in my property portfolio at this time.

It is mine and let me tell you. It sucks!

If you want 30+ scouting partners following you everywhere. Hunt a cattle farm... If you want 4,000 trails in the woods and deer use all of them, hunt a cattle farm. If you want to put out a salt block. Better bring some barbwire and fence it off. If you wanna hear deer coming through the woods and you stare at the spot for an hour before a heifer shows up, hunt a cattle farm. If you want 1 cow that always thinks it's a bad ass to follow you around and bluff charge you every 10 minutes, hunt a cattle farm...

But if you wanna kill turkeys... Hunt a cattle farm.

hey one of them bluff charges , put me over a 10 foot creek bank when i didnt think he would stop, nothing like a 2000 pound calf wanting to play and a 200 pound man running with shit coming down his leg cause the farmer didnt warn him that his 10 year old bull never got out of the calf stage

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It is mine and let me tell you. It sucks!

If you want 30+ scouting partners following you everywhere. Hunt a cattle farm... If you want 4,000 trails in the woods and deer use all of them, hunt a cattle farm. If you want to put out a salt block. Better bring some barbwire and fence it off. If you wanna hear deer coming through the woods and you stare at the spot for an hour before a heifer shows up, hunt a cattle farm. If you want 1 cow that always thinks it's a bad ass to follow you around and bluff charge you every 10 minutes, hunt a cattle farm...

But if you wanna kill turkeys... Hunt a cattle farm.
I can relate to ALL of those Joe!.......Except the salt block thing, I never put one out! I took my bro-n-law to my cousins 400 acre dairy cattle farm nearly a decade ago and he had all kinds of fits with the farmers(Joe) herd! Some of the stories were downright hilarious! The most funniest story was when he hunted a ridge oakflat that ran a 100 yards or so off one of Joes pasture fields one afternoon. He is always scent cautious and sprays down himself and his equipment. Well, after his grueling 3/4 of a mile hike up a huge three tier river hill side and to his stand he climbed up his tree leaving his backpack hanging on his bow rope for the duration of his hunt. It was hanging, OH about headhigh for a averaged sized Holtstein cow!rotflmao Well after walking thru the herd of several hundred head of cattle down at the barn at the start of his trek he finds himself hanging 22 ft. in a beautiful setup with acorns and scrapes all around him. The peace and quiet lasted a whole 3 hours till just about an hour before prime deer movement time(about 4:30ish). He hears leaves rustling and he says TOO himself, "It's showtime"! WRONG! Here comes up the hill, a herd of 20 plus cattle and they make a beeline right for his tree!!! lmao Half beddown around the trees dripline and the other half are just standing around grazing in the leaf litter mooing! Then this one cow starts rubbing his backpack with its head and flipping it all over the place like a young buck would take on a small sapling.rotflmao Without no place to hang his backpack up in the tree with him(he forgot to bring an extra screw-in step), he tries to shout-whisper the cow off and squirt his water bottle on the cows head to get him to stop! lmao Needless to say, his hunt was foiled by the cows but to this day we often relive that story and laugh. My bro and I have also hunted this farm with many encounters with Joes cows but none were this funny! Joes bull was always an obstacle when entering or leaving the woods. Joe now leases that farm for hunting.