Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help me play this one right TOO

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Ok... After running 6 trail cams since late July and only coming across one borderline shooter I was getting frustrated....That all changed tonight.... The field i watched tonight is on a hillside. On the bottom of the hill is a creek bottom with woods. 3/4 the way up the hill is an open crp field about 80 yards wide leading to a soy bean field on top and down the other side to a road to give u an idea of the lay of the land..The edge of the woods connecting to the CRP field is extremely thick.

At 7:15 I am watching from my little brushy hideout and laugh because there are literally no deer in this field. I watch this field every year and by 6 pm it is covered with does nightly... Five minutes go by and i see a deer coming out of the thick wall of green briars/brush..A small buck...Then behind him comes a 120ish buck.. then behind him comes what i would guess to be a 150 class ten point.... They slowly walked out without a care in the world.. Nose around.. and disappear into the swale in the field.. as soon as they disappear i craw back into the woods behind me and loop way out around as to not alet them...I was probably 100 yards from them...

Now i am trying to decide on a game plan for Sat evening.... Here is where I want opinions...

First, there are no climbable trees or trees to set a stand on to get a shot within range of where he walked out...I feel like a homemade ground blind is my best bet..... I will obviously play the wind, but I thought about dumping a couple bags of corn tomorrow right after work where they came out to stop him there if he shows there again... then slip in Saturday around noon and put a dove seat in the weeds 30-40 yds from where he showed on the edge and brush myself in like no other and try to arrow him right as he steps into the field..I dont want to set up any closer, because I feel a buck of this calibur will bust me.... I am open to suggestions... Let me know what you guys think the best option would be...Or.. no corn.. and just slip in the weeds and hope he does the same.???

OR... go down into the woods close to where he came out at and hope i pick the right trail and put a climber up and try to catch him on his way out?

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
TOO me it depends on how much seat time you are going to have relatively soon. If you are gonna have a bunch of chances to get out there then I would start with the outer most trail and work my way to him (on trails) in the woods.

If you are not going to be able to get out much then go for it! Set up in the weeds and pile the corn high (add some dried molasses for dessert) What are you going to loose.

Beentown

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I would setup in a climber inside the woods if it was me. being eye level with a mature buck on his turf is too risky if you ask me. Any little odd movement he picks up on and your done. It's bad enough from a treestand 20' above them.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm in a similar situation where I've seen three shooters together, but it's where trees are thin and I'm ground ridden anyway because I'll have a kid with me. I chose to go the homemade brush blind route without corn and I'm hoping one of the three will show back up.
If I could get corn there I would. I may send my dad there tomorrow to put some corn out and give us a better chance.
So, I guess if you're asking me and you think you can get a better shot from the ground, go for it. How cool would it be to drill him from the ground?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
You know the setup and situation...go with your gut...if you don't and it doesn't work out you will be kicking yourself for listening to internet advice

I would say find a good stool to sit on, get dressed in camo that will let you blend in to what ever cover (even if you have to borrow someone's that will match better) you can find in a position that keeps you down wind of him and don't do the corn.....you will only alert him and make him harder to kill this season.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I usually go a more conservative route this early in the season and inch my way closer to the thicker areas that I know are holding the bucks. But like Beentown said, that all depends on how much you are going to be able to hit the tree this year.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Surveyed the scene right after work today... Decided to go with the ground blind... Made an awesome homemade blind that sits back in a hair.... Not a lot of shooting lanes, but I am more worried about staying hidden... If he steps in the field where he did yesterday, that will put him inside of 40 yds...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Surveyed the scene right after work today... Decided to go with the ground blind... Made an awesome homemade blind that sits back in a hair.... Not a lot of shooting lanes, but I am more worried about staying hidden... If he steps in the field where he did yesterday, that will put him inside of 40 yds...

:smiley_clap: Who's got big balls? Mao's got big balls! lol Good luck!

[video=youtube;VjkJfMrQ4bc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjkJfMrQ4bc[/video]

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

That was gonna be my suggestion. I like the idea of getting creative with a blind in this case. Sounds like a great approach! Good luck Marcus!!!

Mao

Coshocton, OH
well the big boy decided to come out at the other end of the field tonight... go figure.... but... i didnt get busted by anything going out... i am now going to move a climber to the end he showed on tonight..luckly it is a semi open woods at that end leading to the field and he came out agin at 7:20... so i am going to try to set up inside the woods and catch him coming out.. we shall see.. cat and mouse begins...