Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

100 grain vs. 125 grain

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm shooting 100 grain slick tricks. However, I'd hate to waste one on a coyote, squirrel, turkey, etc...

I planned on carrying one arrow with a Muzzy 125 on it. How much of a drop should I expect on something like 20 or 30 yard shot compared to a 100 grain? Should I maybe turn a 30 yard shot into a 35 yard one?

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
It might be easy to tell if you could get your hands on a 125grain field point, I looked thinking maybe I still had one from when I had my x-bow but I musta let them go with the bow, sorry.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
From 30 yards it shouldn't be much, maybe an inch or 2. Shoot it into a broadhead target just to make sure. It depends on the poundage you are shooting, if you are in the 60's you should be fine I'm guessing.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear.
I know what will happen...
A coyote will come in and I won't want to spook it and I'll end up slinging a slick trick at it. But, if the situation presents itself perfect I'd like to switch arrows.

A coyote will come in and I won't want to spook it and I'll end up slinging a slick trick at it. But, if the situation presents itself perfect I'd like to switch arrows.
I blew it doing that last year with a coyote..I wanted to put a carbon express F15 mech through him..I shoulda left the Slick trick arrow on there an let it fly

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County

I always keep a G5 Montec in my quiver for anything besides a deer, but if a yote presents a shot and I don't have time to switch arrows, it gets a Slick Trick, just because I hate them mangy bastards!