Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lets talk single bevel broad heads

I know milo was or is trying some some single bevel heads...I have been eying these Red Feather Archery broad heads..Not for this season just looking ya know? They have a 3blade phoenix out that is single bevel design an made from one piece of ""tool grade steel"'(not sure what that means??)...They are getting ready to release a 2 blade single bevel head called the razor hawk...Ike has done proto type testing on flight an durability on both head..An has took at least a hog with the 3blade..

Here is a link to testing done with red feather heads an some others..
http://www.ikesoutdoors.com/2/category/broadhead%20test/1.html

Here are a few pics of the heads and a few entry holes

3blade Phoenix pics of head an entry holes in the link below
http://www.redfeatherarcheryonline.com/Photos.html

Here are a few 2 blade razor hawk pics

tuffshot

The Crew
Ok 1st off ..Single bevel means only 1 side per say is sharp..Is that correct??

Yes,

Less flex in the blade because of the thickness. Longevity was part of the goal, as well as single edge sharpening.
They were reintroduced as a tradbow head a few years ago, but the expence seems awfully high.
There are some with the mind set you have to put a hatchet on the end of an arrow to make up for an innaccurate shooter.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
yep that right OMO like tuffshot said. single edge sharpening does have its advantages. its is essentially a lawn mower blade that lifts and cuts meat. it also rotates inside the body cavity and is a real bitch on your broadhead targets btw..

Yes,

Less flex in the blade because of the thickness. Longevity was part of the goal, as well as single edge sharpening.
They were reintroduced as a tradbow head a few years ago, but the expence seems awfully high.
There are some with the mind set you have to put a hatchet on the end of an arrow to make up for an innaccurate shooter.
By expence you mean there cost?...I dont see how putting a hatchet on the end it making up for a inaccurate shooter?

yep that right OMO like tuffshot said. single edge sharpening does have its advantages. its is essentially a lawn mower blade that lifts and cuts meat. it also rotates inside the body cavity and is a real bitch on your broadhead targets btw..

So are they more difficult to sharpen?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
For the average joe subdivision guy i am going to say yes. if you have even sharpened a lawnmower blade them no. a flat file will do it in no time. to me thats easier than worrying about angle...the angle is set and you can see your resharpening work quickly.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
not yet. at home comp sucks..i sharpen mine on a bench grinder too so no worries...

tuffshot

The Crew
There is a better way to sharpen mower blades. I use a 4 inch hand grinder and a flapper disk.
The disk is lined with layered 60 grit sand paper tabs. It does a cleaner job and does not heat up the metal as much as a stone grinder.
It is also eaiser to follow the contours of the blade.

The expence I reffered to is the initial cost. How many would you like at this price?
http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Ashby-Single-Bevel-Broadheads-P147C15.aspx

A little recent history.

There are other manufacturers like in the links you posted but for a whitetail deer and even local hogs it is hard for me to justify.
If I was given one arrow and one head a put out in the wilderness without any other resources then and told see how many animals you can kill within a week, then yes a bullet proof broadhead would be ideal.

There is a better way to sharpen mower blades. I use a 4 inch hand grinder and a flapper disk.
The disk is lined with layered 60 grit sand paper tabs. It does a cleaner job and does not heat up the metal as much as a stone grinder.
It is also eaiser to follow the contours of the blade.

The expence I reffered to is the initial cost. How many would you like at this price?

A little recent history.

There are other manufacturers like in the links you posted but for a whitetail deer and even local hogs it is hard for me to justify.
If I was given one arrow and one head a put out in the wilderness without any other resources then and told see how many animals you can kill within a week, then yes a bullet proof broadhead would be ideal.

I pay 27$ for a 3 pack of slick tricks..The Red feather single bevel heads are 35$ for a 3 pack..That really isnt much more then you would pay for magnus heads

tuffshot

The Crew
OMO,

I am just giving discussion to the thread. I would not hesitate to try them out, if I were you.
With a 2 blade you may need to chek your current arrow selection.
Also you may have to adjust the head to match the spin of the arrow. (fletching alignment with the head)

OMO,

I am just giving discussion to the thread. I would not hesitate to try them out, if I were you.
With a 2 blade you may need to chek your current arrow selection.
Also you may have to adjust the head to match the spin of the arrow. (fletching alignment with the head)
Dont take me the wrong way I am just discussing TOO.The single bevel deal is new to me .We might be talking 2 different styles or types of archery? How would a 2 blade effect my arrow selection??I am not a believer in the fletching/head alignment theory for me..I feel if your arrows are are cut an squared on both ends and the proper spine for your set up.Your inserts squared and your use a head made to decent tolerances..Everything else will fall in place with maybe a bit of broadhead tuning..I use three 2inch vanes with RH helical now an a 4 blade head an dont have any trouble(when i do my part)

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I am looking for simplicity in what i am doing and i feel these heads give me that for the most part. i am going to try to sharpen that practice head up tonight if not tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

jim able done this 30 years ago or so. with his grizzly heads , they came in 125,145,165.180, grain . they were great heads and very strong . they seemed to cut a s looking hole in the side of a deer . i shot them for years and never had trouble with them . then i started making my own trade points from saw blades . i also sharpened them on one side . and they done a fantastic job . they did not cost 35.00 a dozen eather . some of my obsidian heads i sharpen on one side have killed deer with them and never had a worry . .it dont take much to punch a hole through both sides of a deer . keep it in the lungs, and you can kill them with a piece of pop can i think . mossy oak , i probably have some trade points laying around if you want to give them a try .